Thread: switch from lever operated Bilstein jack to wind up style... when ?

switch from lever operated Bilstein jack to wind up style... when ?

I ran a search, but found nothing approaching conclusive. per my '73 OM (9.72 date) I understand that Porsche was supplying a wind up style jack. did the switch from a lever operated jack occur before this time ? inquiring minds want to know.
    thanks
    jerry

no wind up jack prior to '73 ?

Quote Originally Posted by typ901 View Post
    no wind up jack prior to '73 ?
    I don't think so.

Jim

my early my`72 had a ( blue !?) wind up jack..not 100% sure if the car left the factory with it ...

Anyone of a picture of the '73 jack? I also need to know how it's located (secured) in the front trunk.

Richard

have you checked your owners manual ?

Quote Originally Posted by Richardnew View Post
    Anyone of a picture of the '73 jack? I also need to know how it's located (secured) in the front trunk.

Richard

I also need to know how it's located (secured) in the front trunk.
    There is no rule how its located, stored or secured. It was simply placed in the trunk, often in the area in front of the spare/space saver wheel. The factory did not provide any securing mechanism or strap on early's.

Anyone of a picture of the '73 jack?
    This is the lever type jack MY 73 (dont think in MY 72 but you never know w transitional cars).

This is the earlier style.

BTW, manuals often used older pics not related to the actual MY. Its the case with 68-71 LWB manuals showing an earlier SWB 67 style jack and front trunk compartment. This pic can be found in manuals even for later models.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 05-22-2014 at 09:33 AM.
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    There is no rule how its located, stored or secured. It was simply placed in the trunk, often in the area in front of the spare/space saver wheel. The factory did not provide any securing mechanism or strap on early's.

This is the lever type jack MY 73 (dont think in MY 72 but you never know w transitional cars).

This is the earlier style.

BTW, manuals often used older pics not related to the actual MY. Its the case with 68-71 LWB manuals showing an earlier SWB 67 style jack and front trunk compartment. This pic can be found in manuals even for later models.
    Karim

Your comment about pictures in owner's manuals is right on the money!
    The crank up jack you have pictured is from a 73 or later 914 and the early jack is from a VW and could possibly do serious damage to the side of a 911, if used. It is my belief that 911 crank up jacks have a solid cast metal probe and the 914 jacks have a stamped steel probe. The early 911 jacks (approximately 70 - 72 years) have a probe that pivots from 90 degrees to 60 or 70 degrees. The VW ones just stay at 90 degrees and should never be used on any 356 or 911/912 Porsche. You also make a valid point about "transitional" years. It could very well be true that the crank up jack you have pictured did come from a 73 911 and it wasn't until later that 911s got the solid metal probe.

Regards

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images   

thx Jim about this important precision. Didnt know these details and without your input, we would be wrong.

At least my pics do give a visual info (coming from my archive and sometimes are not dated) but your technical input close the case. BTW, jack pictures are from older post and cars I used to record.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 05-23-2014 at 09:33 AM.
    Registry member No.773

as an aside, if '73s have wind up jacks then it stands to reason that the lug nut wrench doesn't have a tapered end.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    84102 purchased in '85 FINALLY started driving it (2/2015)
    '73 911T original paint sunroof coupe waiting in the wings
    3 gauge Holbert 912... now for something completely different
    1940 Mercury town sedan