Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual VIN number.

Unusual VIN number.

Can anybody explain this VIN number ?

Car is a 1983 Guards red Carrera 3.2. (october 1983)
    The number seems unusual since it has 2 characters to much.
    Same counts for the engine number which is 63E000TP1L

I'm trying to figure out the story behind this car.

All help is really appreciated, with best regard from Holland.
    Attached Images Attached Images

First of all, this is not a 1983 but a 1984 carrera 3.2. The E is the key that indicates a 1984 model year.
    In 1984, the first production car was wp0zzz91zes100061. The numbers 0001 to 0060 were eventually used for prototypes and pre-production cars.
    So, this car is very special and only Porsche can tell you exactly what they made.

I don't know what "TP" means, sorry.

I advice you to ask for a certificate of authenticity to learn more about it.

I'm no expert on 80's VIN's but I remember seeing another car with a TP VIN. I believe it was determined that the TP stood for techniche prufstelle (or something close) which translates roughly to "technical testing".

In that case, the VIN had nothing to do with the factory. It was determined that the car had received a new VIN after an event such as a theft or something similar and the "TP" facility was the agency that handled that.

No idea if this applies to your car but thought I'd chime in.

More references to "TP" VIN's here:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ga-VIN-Mystery

Thank you all for this reply,its really helpful to me. I do agree that for some reason a new VIN could be reissued but having the TP also on the engine appears even more strange to me.
    The TP in the engine number is also additional.
    "ZE" in the VIN seams rights, but for the "H" i would expect a S ? (for Stuttgart ?)

Car is in great condition, appears to me a very original Early Carrera 3.2. Also 10-83 seems right to me as the first 3.2 was launched in October 83. (model 84)
    What do you guys think of the engine having "TP" as well ?
    Its stamped in the middle of the number, so no possibility to add it afterwards i guess ?

And what about imported by " mr Theimann" ?

i think this car was built for some official purpose ... homologation procedere--->to be inspected from the Technische Prüfstelle ...or something like this

number one ....very nice...

i also have a TP 911

please look under the dash knee pad to find the production # on the dash frame. Also look for tags as shown in this link:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...deadening.html

With the production # we can learn much more. The stamping in the VIN location is unusual since it does not appear there was ever a regular VIN in that location. Could this have been a replacement body or a prototype? What numbers are on the transmission?

We need to do more investigation into these TP numbers, so more people will have to submit info from their cars to help build a body of knowledge.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by gerakroo View Post
    Thank you all for this reply,its really helpful to me. I do agree that for some reason a new VIN could be reissued but having the TP also on the engine appears even more strange to me.
    The TP in the engine number is also additional.
    "ZE" in the VIN seams rights, but for the "H" i would expect a S ? (for Stuttgart ?)

Car is in great condition, appears to me a very original Early Carrera 3.2. Also 10-83 seems right to me as the first 3.2 was launched in October 83. (model 84)
    What do you guys think of the engine having "TP" as well ?
    Its stamped in the middle of the number, so no possibility to add it afterwards i guess ?

And what about imported by " mr Theimann" ?
    I haven't spotted the H instead of S for the factory.
    So far, here is the consensus about the factory code:
    Code Factory Notes Models Produced
    S (Stuttgart) Zuffenhausen - Germany Includes occasional production from Weissach. All 911s. Minority of 986 Boxsters and 987 Boxster/Cayman. 549 of the 1991 944s,[2]
    as well as all 924 Carrera GTS/GTR.[3] Majority of 968s.
    N Neckarsulm - Germany. Audi factory. Majority of 924 and 944s. Minority of 1992 968s.
    L Leipzig - Germany. All Cayenne, Panamera and Carrera GT.
    U Uusikaupunki - Finland. Valmet Automotive factory. Majority of 986 Boxsters and 987 Boxster/Cayman.

Could the H means Weissach?

Do you have a sticker with the engine and gearbox types, the delivery country, colors and equipment codes under the front hood or the original warranty booklet?

The plate in English indicates that this car was imported in the USA during its life, by "Mr Theimann". Who knows this man?

Thank you, i will have a look and make pictures of all other numbers in / on this car.

Number are as follows:

Engine 63EO 00TP10 type 930.20
    Gearbox 73E000TP type 915.67

Also here, all numbers have "TP" in it ?

Seems quite special to me ?