Thread: headlamp advice - h4s

headlamp advice - h4s

I tried to find an answer via "search", but did not come up with anything conclusive. Apologies ahead of time if I am dense and could not find the answer.

I want to convert the sugar scoop headlamps on my newly acquired 71T and have found a couple options.

Are the Bosch brand any different from the Magnetti? The price difference in percentage terms is pretty big.... Is this kit all that is necessary for the conversion (and the bulbs)?

Any advice or feedback is appreciated on the best place to buy...

Thank you!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

G'morning, w . . .

I've not converted a 911 from US-spec to Euro lighting, but --- from all the other BMWs + VWs that I've done so . . . the headlights should be a direct-swap. One look at the connectors should tell you as much. The only complication that I can recall might be an extra ground wire that you'll need to attach . . . but your lights should include a description + instructions w/ illustrations, etc

In other words --- easy

As to which brand? . . .

I have always stuck w/ OEM = Bosch . . . or Hella, as applicable

HtH

We Can Be Heroes

They usually go on sale and check Sierra Madre as well
    last year they could be had for just over 200 each
    M.A.Spirito

The ring fit and retaining screw at the bottom of the headlite are the only issues that you must take care when mounting. It's very easy to misalign that bottom screw and then strip the threaded portion of the headlite bucket.

Bosch and Magnetti are the same light - both are actually built by and labeled as "AL". AL (Automotive Lighting) was a joint project by Bosch and Magnetti, which has now been spun off into a separate company. Some AL lights come in Bosch boxes, others in Magnetti boxes. Same lights either way.

Once you remove the all the original parts, the new H4s are a direct and simple bolt-in. No electrical wiring changes are needed, the headlight connector is the same. The new H4s have an extra socket for the city/parking lamp that the impact bumper cars used, you can ignore that.

You'll probably want to replace the rubber/foam seal around the headlight bucket when you do it. The new H4 slips over the lip at the top of the bucket, and attaches at the bottom with the single screw.

Thanks guys! I ordered the lights from pelican today.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    You'll probably want to replace the rubber/foam seal around the headlight bucket when you do it. The new H4 slips over the lip at the top of the bucket, and attaches at the bottom with the single screw.
    I wish it were this easy. Be very careful that you have everything just right. You wouldn't be the first guy to lose headlites while driving down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    I wish it were this easy. Be very careful that you have everything just right. You wouldn't be the first guy to lose headlites while driving down the road.
    Totally agree. Look very carefully at the top of the headlight bucket to see how the top edge of the headlamp attaches. The top of the headlight assembly "hooks" on to the top of the headlight bucket.

Before screwing in the bottom fastener use a light and a tool to ensure the holes are aligned.

Check all around the edges of the headlamp and how it meets the body (headlamp bucket area). This is to ensure there is no water intru$ion. Not often but sometimes new lamps and/or car bodies are not perfectly flat.

You do these three steps, you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Haasman; 06-01-2014 at 05:03 PM.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Thank you for all the helpful tips. This place is great!