Thread: When Porsche starts with production code under the dashboard?

When Porsche starts with production code under the dashboard?

HI,

I just wanted to know, if somebody knows, when Porsche starts using production codes under the dashboard next to the chassis number?If I am right, I think Porsche did not use production codes for early 911's from 65-67? In this case they used Vin numbers of the 356 I think, but I am not 100% sure. If somebody knows more about it, this will be very helpful for me.

Thanks from Germany

In the first few production years the number under the dash was identical to the VIN number, don't know exactly when that changed to production numbers, but I believe in '67. Maybe an expert can help out on the exact date.

Erik

The first ones that I have collected are from 1969. There was one unverified report of a 1968. With all the changes in the 1969 model year, I think that it is a good bet that it is confined to 1969 and later cars.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Does anybody has a picture of a dash production code of a early car? I cannot find information or pictures of a production code of a 65,66 or 67 car. The number in my cash out of a 66 car is identical with the VIN number, but looks not really perfect.

Please post yours. Here are a few in comparison:
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I'd say you're right Dave. My 68 has the VIN, my 69 has the production#...
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga