Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optional 16 inch wheels on 1973 2.4S?

Optional 16 inch wheels on 1973 2.4S?

My 1973 US-spec 2.4S has 16 inch Fuchs wheels which are listed on a COA as original fitment from new. The COA takes the form of a genuine letter from Porsche UK written in 2011 which confirms the car's chassis number and engine number and original colour and lists the car's original fitted options as being:

16" Cup Wheel "cast".
    Sports Seats.
    Sound System.
    Fog Headlamps White.
    Tinted Side Glasses and Tinted Windshield.

So far, all I have heard from everyone who has seen or knows of this car, is that 16 inch wheels were definitely NOT available in 1973.

I intend to contact Porsche in Germany to ask them direct, whether they can back up this letter and confirm that it could indeed have been possible that the car was originally delivered with 16" wheels, but I thought I'd just mention it here on the forum to see if anyone has any comments on this situation?

Best Regards, Ed

Name:  16inch_wheel_911S_1973.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  37.0 KB

Ed,

Here's what a 16" Cup wheel looks like:

Name:  IMG_68061312844175.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  87.5 KB

Your car obviously didn't come those and it's just a option code translation error. It happens frequently and you can get it changed.
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Bauer View Post
    Your car obviously didn't come those and it's just a option code translation error. It happens frequently and you can get it changed.
    Thanks Carl. So it sounds like I need to ask Porsche in Germany what the actual option code was showing as, in their own original records from 1973, and exactly what that code originally meant (in German) back in 1973. I will then have the original information that will presumably be irrefutable.

The Fuchs in your pic are forged anyway....

I can't tell if that pic you supplied is of your own car but why not just check the date code on the rim in the picture? It won't give you a definitive answer for what your car originally was equipped with but it will answer the question of when that wheel was made.

Quote Originally Posted by 72911 View Post
    The Fuchs in your pic are forged anyway....
    True, I think all fuchs were forged wheels weren't they? A cast "cup" wheel doesn't make much sense and perhaps the OP can get Porsche to shed some light on this one.

Mistake in the CoA, as simple as that.
    Member #2768 http://www.no-speedlimit.it

• 1973 Biancaneve - 911 2.4 S/F Ivory
    • 1977 Fiona - 911 Carrera 3.0 Oak Green Metallic
    • 1993 Bellatrix - 964 Turbo 3.6 Black

I keep a registry of 1972 and 1973 2.4 S coupé chassis. Infos always welcome!!!

Instagram
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Biancaneve View Post
    +1
    16" wheels started for the 77 MY Turbo and the 78 MY SC.
    The tires weren't even invented in 73
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Biancaneve View Post
    That would be the simple explanation but then I wonder why does the car actually have 16 inch wheels on it, and why the previous owner (an American who imported it from the USA) was (I am told) sure that these wheels had been on the car from new.

I'll be picking the car up tomorrow so I'll take a look inside the spare wheel to see if there is any date code on it or anything that may give a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    +1
    16" wheels started for the 77 MY Turbo and the 78 MY SC.
    The tires weren't even invented in 73
    H
    That seems pretty conclusive then. So either Porsche UK had their arm twisted into deliberately putting something false in their letter so that it matched the reality of the car, or it was written by a complete dimwit who made it up as they went along. Neither seems likely - but you can be sure I'll get to the bottom of it!