Thread: The only complete running known pre-production engine video 900054

The only complete running known pre-production engine video 900054

Hi
    had to fire it sounds pretty good after 25 years of sleep.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byz...it?usp=sharing
    Bret

Sounds healthy!
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

That engine sounds quite good, especially after 25 years. What kind of preparations did you perform to it to get it ready to fire? I've got an engine that hasn't run in 21 years. So you're telling me there's hope it might run again without a rebuild?

Mine was cocooned for over 15 years. Pretty much did the same, fresh oil, spun it over first by hand, then starter. Sounds good!
    72 911S Targa #0807 95+% German.

Paul Harrop 12.5% German.

Early S #2059

Wonderful sound. Congratulations!
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Very, very special engine!

Erik

Hi
    We changed the oil, to look for shavings, no shavings but slight fuel odor so I am sure the Carb's need some attention. We removed all plugs and pumped a little mystery oil down each cylinder and cranked the engine by hand, we then disconnected the coil and cranked with the starter. Had to replace all fuel lines at the engine rubber was cracked under the woven covers. Set up an auxiliary tank with Lucas oil added to help the unleaded fuel. The engine fired much faster that I would of expected and sounded pretty good. I still think it needs to be freshened, but I was just looking for the sound of Major problems and internal damage. The problem with this engine is we don't know what is in it, so major problems could be much more of an issue.
    Bret

Quote Originally Posted by Bivvv View Post
    Hi
    We changed the oil, to look for shavings, no shavings but slight fuel odor so I am sure the Carb's need some attention. We removed all plugs and pumped a little mystery oil down each cylinder and cranked the engine by hand, we then disconnected the coil and cranked with the starter. Had to replace all fuel lines at the engine rubber was cracked under the woven covers. Set up an auxiliary tank with Lucas oil added to help the unleaded fuel. The engine fired much faster that I would of expected and sounded pretty good. I still think it needs to be freshened, but I was just looking for the sound of Major problems and internal damage. The problem with this engine is we don't know what is in it, so major problems could be much more of an issue.
    Bret
    In my case, I was the last one to run the engine in 1993 and so I know it ran good when I pulled the motor to work on the MFI. The story of why it still sits is a long and strange one. One thing I'll probably also do with my engine is pull the sparkplugs and look down into the cylinders with a flexible camera to check for anything out of the ordinary. The Marvel mystery oil is an incredible product. I was thinking about using a penetrating lubricant such as PB blaster down the intakes and into the spark plug holes, but maybe marvel is the way to go. My engine hasn't had it's MFI on it (bare intakes) which could prove to be real trouble, but it has been stored inside for the last 28 years. I have a set of 40 webers that I guess I'll have to use to try and run it. My engine has been outside the car also, so it hasn't had any oil in it. I'll probably have to use the mystery oil liberally. I can only pray that it goes half a smooth as your engine did. Your success has brought me hope which I must thank you for. Congratulations again. Derek