Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct glove box light for '73

Correct glove box light for '73

Hello,
    I am looking at purchasing a used glove box light for my '73 project, and simply want to confirm that the correct style is that with the chrome trim and the rocker style three-position switch (PET indicates 901.632.103.00). The part number changed to 911.632.103.00 in '74, which appears to have black trim and an external three-position switch instead of the rocker type, based on the light in my '77.

Thanks,
    Frank
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

I have a 7/73 production 911T and mine is black trim with external 3 position switch on the left of the light.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Lightbulb

Yeah, Sully is right..... The weird thing is I couldn't find it in my 72/73 parts book....

Anyway, this is what it is suppose to look like .... Please excuse the flash glare

Thin black frame, 3 position black button switch on left side.........

Hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks very much for this info and the pictures. The images posted match the glove box light in my '73 user manual (see photo), and the photo from another late production '73T that a friend sent to me today, so this appears to be the correct style light - at least for late production builds. The light from my '77 appears to be the same light, simply rotated 180 degrees when installed to avoid the switch conflicting with the glove box door know (see photo), so there is the possibility that the factory simply started using the lights from the G-series towards the end of '73 production (as we know happened on other occasions). My '73 is an early production, so maybe a photo of an early '73 or even '72 would help confirm this.

The light I was considering to purchase is from a '71T and looks like the Targa light in the center photo of the user guide page. Has anyone seen this style light used as the glove box light before?

Thanks,
    Frank

'73 User Manual page on interior lighting:
    Name:  1973 911 Interior Lights.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  103.1 KB
    © Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche A.G.

Light from '77:
    Name:  IMG_2788 - Copy.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  91.1 KB
    Last edited by frankc; 06-13-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

MY69 late build has #3 (black surround with the switch)
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by classic View Post
    MY69 late build has #3 (black surround with the switch)
    Well this provides more evidence that the light being advertised as a glove box light is actually a Targa interior light - I will let the seller know. Thanks to everyone who responded - I'll keep looking.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

The things I learn here. I never knew I had a glove box light. I've only owned my '73.5 for about 25 years. I guess I'll have to start driving my car at night now just to use the light.

Richard Newton

My 2/73 build looks just like the one Chuck posted. Black low profile switch button and black trim.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

The "Interior Light in Targa Models" depicted in the 1973 Owners Manual is also the glovebox light in my 1970.

BruceE

Frank - I have a glove box light with black surround available if you still need one.
    Kind regards
    Gitesh