Thread: Kardex (Kartex), COA, Prior Owner help

Kardex (Kartex), COA, Prior Owner help

Didn't know whether to attach this to recent thread or start fresh. Elected to start fresh. I own a '68 912 coupe, a '67 912 targa and a '67 911S targa. Awaiting a new crank shaft on the coupe (otherwise fully restored - over restored). Just reunited the original engine with the '67 912 targa, but holding off on restoration in favor of '67 911S targa. As part of the process on each I have been trying to put together the history for each. As such I have both the COA and the Kardex for each (ever see anybody else dumb enough to get 912 Kardexs?). As far as I have been able to trace the coupe history, I have owned it for 35 years and and it was owned by two different Air Force Academy graduates as the second and third owners. I have spoken at length with the second owner. He told me that he purchased it from the original owner in Colorado which makes sense given the location of the Air Force Academy. The Kardex appears to have the name of the first owner and his address. My difficulty is understanding the handwriting. I have noted that the handwritten information appears to have a European flourish which is certainly appropriate.

As to the 912 Targa I think I can read the ownership alright but have not found any leads as to the owner. The guy I bought it from did not have a title but was told that it was a New England car before they used title papers to transfer cars. Don't know the history of the transfer from Germany to a New England state (s). As to the '67 911S I am in contact with the second owner. Just learned that the engine, as modified was used by Dr. Richard Weiss during the 1970 racing season and probably raced at Daytona, Sebring and Watkins Glen that year. It was thereafter detuned slightly and returned for over the road use in my '67S from whence it came. Second owner said he bought it from a corporation that had purchased it new for a corporate officer. The Kardex seems to bear that out. I have not tried to write to the address given, but I know it still exists on Long Island.

I am posting each document here and asking those who are fluent in German to compare the appropriate COA and Kardex to see if the COA is accurate. I am also asking for help with the handwriting on each Kardex to tell me what the owner information says. Also asking if anybody knows of the existence of any owner and their possible location. Lastly anybody aware of the current address of Dr. Richard Weiss. He was a dentist (I believe) in Philipsburg NJ and he is the one who raced the 911 engine in 1970

Name:  67 912 TARGA COA.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  48.2 KB
    Name:  67 912 Targa Kardex.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  87.5 KB
    Name:  67S TARGA COA.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  52.2 KB
    Name:  67 911S Targa Kardex.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  89.1 KB
    Name:  68 912 COA.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  50.0 KB

Need to attach one additional picture.
    Last edited by doigthom; 06-14-2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Here is the additional Kardex

Name:  68 912 Kardex.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  73.8 KB

Thanks for any help.

500254: my thought is that the car had selectively tinted glass, not all around as stated on the COA. I don't think I have seen it broken down before.
    The serial # attributed to the antenna should be that of the radio; at least it is typical of the radio serial #'s.

Catacolor windschutzscheibe = Catacolor windshield
    Catacolor türverglasung = Catacolor door glazing
    Catacolor Rundumverglasung = Catacolor tinted glass all around
    getönte rundumverglasung = tinted glass all round

550479: looks correct to me.

gummipuf Stoßstangen vorne und hinten = rubber bumpers front and rear bumpers So I think this should be bumper horns with rubber inserts.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Thanks. Very interesting information. Bumper horns with rubber inserts are exactly what is on car. Found it interesting that on two of the three COA's they specified the type of the Blaupunkt but not on the 67 912 although the type was on the Kardex. Must not have rules when they prepare to COA as to what gets translated and what doesn't.

The 912 COA has a few errors, but it is an earlier copy by the signature. The paint code is 6606 while the B is part of the interior code. The interior is Kunstl.schwarz or Kunstleder which is leatherette. The B part of the code is for schwarz or black; A is rot = red, C is brown, D is beige, K= fawn
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers