Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 308393S is back

308393S is back

Here’s an update on 308393S. It was discussed in 2006 in this thread:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...67s+vin+stolen

At that time, the owner listed the car on ebay. The high bid met reserve, but the buyer backed out amicably. During the second listing, the owner reportedly became disgusted with some accusatory questions about the originality of the car, and pulled it from the auction. A few years later, he sold it to a friend of mine who sold it to me last year.

This car comes with a story, as you probably gleaned from the above thread. Stories like this prompt all sorts of opinions, and I offer this update with a thick skin. The not-insignificant issue is that the car was stolen early in its life, and the VIN stampings and tags were cut/removed. Soon afterward, the car was recovered and re-issued its original VIN by the California Highway Patrol. Evidently, a theft recovery 40 years ago didn’t lead to a branded title. Not surprisingly, the car has since been retitled in Oregon and Washington with no brands.

When the car was listed on ebay in 2006, the only thing the seller offered to defend its originality was the re-issued VIN and a disassembled S engine that wasn’t installed. He had no Kardex or COA to confirm a match. I can’t speculate as to why, as either document would have helped his cause. In any case, he ended up keeping the car for a few more years.

Fast forward to 2013. My friend owned the car and offered it to me. He had obtained a COA that confirmed the disassembled engine to be the factory mate to the chassis VIN. (The original transmission evidently went AWOL in 1997, when the PO installed a rebuilt unit using a 912 case with N, V, and ZD gearing.)
    In addition to the COA, my friend and I confirmed the proper VIN stamps in the headlight buckets and the doors, as well as the correct grease pencil markings under the dash cover. (Obligatory smirks allowed here.) There is no VIN stamp on the decklid. The decklid latch panel shows mild indentations from the bumper guard mounting brackets, evidently from a rear impact that probably bent the decklid beyond repair. Recently, I obtained (with the gracious help of another registry member) a Kardex that is consistent with the COA.

Shortly after buying the car, I took the original engine to Dick Elverud for reassembly. Northwest Porsche folk may recognize Dick as one of the best engine builders in the area. He agreed to assemble it during periods when he wasn’t building racing engines or playing with his grandkids, both worthy priorities. I’m happy to report the S is now moving under the power of its factory engine. The only snag has been an unsuccessful attempt to use a correct but untested S transmission instead of the aforementioned 912 gearbox. I could barely hear the engine over the tranny’s whine, so we’re settling on the 912 box for now. It should be ready to drive again next week, unless the Rose Cup races or Dick’s grandkids draw his attention.

During my friend’s ownership, the car sat on deep sixes but five 4.5” Fuchs have tagged along with the car. I assume they’re the original wheels but can’t be certain. He kept the deep sixes, and I have since mounted 165-15 Vredestein Sprint Classics on the 4.5s. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it handles; a prior experience with 165s on another 911 was a bit unsettling.

I’m not an expert on these early Ss, but I believe it has most of the proper interior S pieces except for the inside rearview mirror. The car lacks front bumper guards, but I don’t know if this reflects a deliberate deletion from the factory or if they were removed for a repaint that evidently occurred many years ago. The rubber insert in the front deco has no holes in it, and appears to be the correct bull-nosed type. Neither the Kardex nor the COA mentions bumper guards but that may have been SOP for the 67S. Perhaps someone could enlighten me a bit about that. Just to be sure I wasn’t missing an important part, I did find a pair of correct 67S guards with the metal, slotted back plate. They sit in my garage with other hens-teeth items awaiting an unknown fate.

I’d also ask for opinions about the seats. I don’t know the vintage or manufacturer, but they sit wonderfully and the inserts are an excellent match to the stock basketweave. Any ideas about what they are?

So, there you have it. The only 67S I’ll ever be able to afford, deflowered as it is. Thanks for listening.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

More pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I like the seats -- they look quite comfortable, but decidedly not period.
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Welcome back 308393S indeed... car and owner look great and happy and maybe that's all that counts! Thanks for sharing...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    Welcome back 308393S indeed... car and owner look great and happy and maybe that's all that counts! Thanks for sharing...
    To clarify, the gentlemen in the picture with the engine isn't me; he's Dick Elverud, engine builder extraordinaire. First class guy.

Nice car.

The seats remind me of some of the Recaros that BMW used to factory install in the late '70s. Not certain of that, but that'd be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by swcarroll View Post
    . . . car lacks front bumper guards, but I don’t know if this reflects a deliberate deletion from the factory or if they were removed for a repaint that evidently occurred many years ago. The rubber insert in the front deco has no holes in it, and appears to be the correct bull-nosed type. Neither the Kardex nor the COA mentions bumper guards but that may have been SOP for the 67S. Perhaps someone could enlighten me . . .
    Cool to see another Early S come back --- thanks for sharing that

Regarding the missing front bumper guards, there is an option code listed to delete them on LWB cars, here --- see post #98 . . .
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Options/page10

. . . so I don't see why there wouldn't be one for SWB cars, as well

Have you de-coded all of the options on your Kardex?

Anyway --- HtH

We Can Be Heroes

Bitchen car!! Keep us updated, sometimes girls with a few miles are still fun!
    69 Bahama T
    S Reg# 2753

Glad this car is back and in good shape. I remember being intrigued by the original thread.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Thanks for kind and helpful comments.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Have you de-coded all of the options on your Kardex?
    The Kardex only lists two options, an antenna and a radio speaker. It also specifies Dunlop 165-15s. This was one bare S.

The bumper guard thing confuses me and, apparently, I am not alone. See http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...+standard+1967

I have a copy of an accessories book with a print date of 7/66, with options listed in four languages. The English translation for option #9220 is "bumper guards with rubber pads, front", but the German entry adds words that translate to "not available for 911S". Interestingly, option #9221 is "Bumper Guards with rubber pads, rear (standard equipment 911S)". I'm not sure what to make of that. No where can I find an option code for deleting the front bumper guards. I'm assuming that the Kardex (and COA) only list the guards if they were an added expense; for instance, the Kardex for my '66 doesn't list any guards (they were bare chrome) but the Kardex for my '67 normal and 67 912 lists them (they were rubber covered, an option).

It also occurs to me that, as I write this, my head is spinning and perhaps I shouldn't make a mountain out of a molehill. Personally, I prefer the car without the front guards so I'm not at all inclined to drill holes in that nice deco rubber to put them on.