Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bavarian Holiday

My wife and I have just returned from an eleven day, 3600 mile tour of Colorado with the Vintage BMW Club. Our guide, a resident of Boulder, crafted a seven day jaunt starting at The Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs followed by stopovers in Crested Butte, Durango, Telluride, Gateway Canyons and finally Beaver Creek, where the BMWCCA was holding its annual O'Fest. By any measure, this was some of the most spectaculary sublime roads and scenery that we've ever experienced. The past couple of million years of ocean incursion and continental shift/drift have been tortuous to the earth's outer crust in that region, but the (current) result is, as many of you know, nothing short of awesome. Just when you think that the best has been left behind, more amazement suddenly appears in your windshield.

This was the '73 Bavaria's first lengthy road trip after a five year (planned for six months!) full power train and suspension renewal. What was a twin carbureted 3.0ltr six is now a stroked 3.2 with forged pistons/rods, slightly lumpy Dbilas cam, double valve springs, flow improvements, TWM side draft throttle bodies and programmable Electromotive ECU. The stock 1:1 4sp is now an OD 5sp, a very common upgrade with these cars, and a LSD sourced from a NorCal friend who scours bone yards for such stuff. Front and rear subframes and attachments were removed, powder coated and then all bushings replaced with new throughout suspension and steering. In essence, every wear component was replaced; bunch of stuff which is not apparent unless you get it on a lift, but which made a remarkable improvement in the car's handling and overall feel of being "planted on the road". It's also been treated to short and slightly stiffer springs, fat sway bars (adjustable rear), Bilstein HDs, and later 3.0Si ventilated rotors/calipers at both ends. It's not quite a finished project yet (are they ever?) as some details are yet to be accomplished, but I'm very pleased with the overall package. We had to make a couple of air/fuel adjustments to the ECU at altitude, but otherwise had nary a hitch. It's a great old-timer sedan for two AARP'ers who wish not to travel in somethin' overly mundane but still have a reasonable amount of space.

I received help from my friend, Early S'er and life long BMW enthusiast, Scott Z., who offered a corner of his shop, helped to source parts, offer ideas and provide the technical and fabrication talents of his shop tech, Tim, who crafted, among other bits n' pieces, the aluminum air box which is a work of art.

Cheers,

Jim

DSCF0947.jpg

DSCF0605.jpg

DSCF0697.jpg

DSCF0919.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg
    Last edited by SWBS; 06-23-2014 at 06:18 PM.

Hi Jim,

Been wondering what you 2 have been up to. Sounds like a fantastic trip in the Bavaria. I am not seeing your photos, but want to. Can you reload them?

Are we going to see you guys next month up at Elkhart Lake/RA? Hope so.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Jim

I bought a 73 Bavaria in 78 with very low miles on it. I soon concluded that it was the worst car ever made by any manufacturer. Since that day, I have never even remotely considered owning another BMW. Congrats on making one of those things actually work.

Regards

Jim

Hi Jim,

I had two ('69 & '73) of these cars back in the day and my experience(s) were very positive. I do recall an issue with the original Zenith carbs, but I had Jake, an independent BMW guy who was an old school Jets & floats whiz to keep 'em in tune. I dunno 'bout your car, but the Angel of Munich has been good to me over the past 44 years.
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Hey Brian,

We do hope to se you at the Vintage.Depends on a "yet to be nailed down" family gathering at the farm.

Cheers,

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Jim

I bought a 73 Bavaria in 78 with very low miles on it. I soon concluded that it was the worst car ever made by any manufacturer. Since that day, I have never even remotely considered owning another BMW. Congrats on making one of those things actually work.

Regards

Jim
    you probably never owned a italian car....

Jim, great pics and a great trip you had. I know those roads well and they are some of the best in the country. How did you like your stay in Gateway? My wife and I have made a few day trips up there while staying in Telluride. Did you head down to that great breakfast place in Telluride we tried on our way to Rennsport?
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Hi Scott,

We had already had breakfast at Lodge the before riding the cable car down to T-ride for a few hours of knocking about in town, but we did walk past and recalled our great meal there two years ago before hitting the road once more toward Monterey. I had a good look at the runway you and your dad use and quote David Hobbs regarding the approach: One has to have large attachments (and a firm commitment) to touch down there! The Gateway stay and tour of the car museum was a highlight of the trip. I need an idea like the Discovery Channel so I could build a place like that of my own…

Cheers,

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Hey Jim!

The Red Baron looks terrific! Glad you guys are out enjoying it! Hope to see you at R/A

Jim B. - these cars were no better or worse than any other car of that era including a 911. The best part of owning one was the incredible camaraderie of BMWCCA in the early 70's, lifetime friendships and flashing your headlights at other Bavaria's and 02's. That all changed with the introduction of the 320i, and the gentle decline from an enthusiast machine into a lifestyle statement......
    Scott

Early S Reg. #1694/R-Gruppe #638

74 Carrera

Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post
    these cars were no better or worse than any other car of that era including a 911. The best part of owning one was the incredible camaraderie of BMWCCA in the early 70's, lifetime friendships and flashing your headlights at other Bavaria's and 02's. That all changed with the introduction of the 320i, and the gentle decline from an enthusiast machine into a lifestyle statement......
    Well stated, Scott. We displayed the one and only E3 at the O'Fest Concours last week and received many positive comments from folks who either owned one or wanted to back in the day. Now need to find an understanding shop to get the AC going again so we can drive it to Pebble Beach in August and check that experience off the Bucket List!

You need to drive it.

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279