Thread: FS: '73.5T Targa sporto, parts car

# 2991

FS: '73.5T Targa sporto, parts car

SOLD
    for $2800 without wheels or seats

Dear moderators, I am posting this in the car classifieds since I would like to sell the complete car, if this should be in the parts classifieds please move it, if it needs to be somewhere else...
    thanks

I have a '73.5 targa with CIS and sporto trans. I refer to this as "Frankenstein" since it has been converted to a "G" body. Not only was the body converted, I suspect it was once in a heavy collision, the entire front end including suspension and brakes are from a '74-'75.

I first saw this car nearly 20 years ago when I was working at the dealer in Calgary. At that time the owner was advised of the poor condition of the body splicing. The front clip was originally lime green and is in pretty good shape, the rear clip was originally gold and is also in pretty good shape if you ignore the giant bondo patch on the rear left quarter. The real horror is the connection of the 2 halves, there is a slight overlap (maybe 1") in the floor running between the base of both "A" pillars, if you lift up the carpet, the front section of the centre tunnel is not there, only a collection of fuel and brake lines spliced together with rubber hoses and clamps.

Late last year this car surfaced in Edmonton, as far as I can tell the only change since I last saw it was the original tan leather sport seats have been replaced with grey vinyl seats from a '71.
    I asked the owner the history of the vehicle, his response was he just got it from Calgary where it had been in storage for the past 20 years just waiting for a restoration. I informed him about the condition of the vehicle and suggested the restoration might be more than he is ready to afford. With great delight and a smile he informed me he has set aside $10000 for a complete restoration. After what felt like several hours, he conceded to my advice and did some research on the costs involved.
    A few months later against my advice, I did some work for him and got the car running. After draining out the foulest smelling fuel ever, I was able to start the engine and wow did it ever purr with the most horrendous rattle I've ever heard. Did I mention the brakes were stuck on even though there's no fluid in the system? After prying back the brake pads I drove it out of the shop.
    Once again the decision was made to foolishly throw away more money. The engine was completely disassembled to assess the costs of a complete rebuild. Two of the pistons are not round and were the cause of the noise, in addition to worn valve guides and all other expected findings. At this point the owner decided to walk away from the project, I paid him a small amount for the car and covered the bill for the repairs/diagnosis. I reassembled the engine by installing everything hand tight. This is a core, but a good candidate for someone looking for a complete (2.4L/7R case) CIS engine with sporto trans.

So if you managed to read this far and are still interested in a complete parts car, please let me know.
    I may consider parting out, as this is worth far more in pieces than as a complete vehicle. I just don't have the time or space, my intention was to use the engine and trans in one of my old VWs, but that will most likely never happen.

A few small details. It currently has 4 Fuchs that I believe were all date matched to early '73 and the original chrome flag mirror, these parts will be offered with the sale of my black/Italan '73T. It currently has 16" Fuchs that would be included on the targa.

I do not have any pictures yet, as good as the cameras on my iPad and iPhone are, I've borrowed a camera from my brother to take some real pictures.

I think $6000 is a fair price for a complete parts car, but don't kid yourself and think you could restore it. I bought this to keep it off of the road.

edit: forgot the key info
    VIN: 9113111486
    Engine type/#: 911/96 6139392
    Trans type/#: 925/00 7630449
    I think production date is 02/73 but not confirmed
    Last edited by jrbennett; 07-19-2014 at 03:56 PM.

PM Sent re '73.5T Parts Car
    Ted Ricci
    '97 993 C4S
    '73 911S Targa
    '64 356SC Sunroof Coupe
    '62 356B T-6 Roadster
    Medina, Ohio

Interested in the parts. Pm or call

Thanks