Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koni insert replacement

Koni insert replacement

Need a little help
    I got a set of original Koni Struts from my 72s. I got the dust covers off in preparation for installing the new inserts. I have done Boge before and the top that threads out to put inserts in is in the shape of a nut, wenches right off. On the Koni it is round. A put a pipe wrench on it but would not break free. I did not put allot of torch on it out of free of damaging the casing.
    First question is do they tread out? There are two holes in the top, is this for a special tool? Also appears to be an interior nut with two slots??? Am I doing this right or are they just 40 year old parts and tough to get apart. I was able to prop them up and pool some PB blast to help break down any rust. I do not want to use heat because they actually have really nice original paint. Any advise would be appreciated.
    Also read where, when I do get them apart and new insert in I need to fill with some type of fluid for cooling what should I use?
    Thanks Baxter

Yes, you need a tool with two drive pins in it to get it off.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Okay any suggestions on where to get one or would I be better off taking to a shop

Also what about the fluid?

Koni rebuilds their shocks at the North American service center in Tennessee I believe. I hear they are very helpful, maybe contact them?
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Yes, there is a spanner with pins that fit into the threaded cover....several of the Euro tool vendors sell generic pin spanners (Samstag, etc). I have seen the cover removed with a pipe wrench, and channel locks. Also one can notch the edge of the cap and use a punch or chisel to get it turning. Some heat should not harm the top tubular section of the strut...and you can't hurt the insert as it is disposable anyway. As per the shop manual the "fluid" is 30W motor oil 50cc.
    Koni is located in Lexington, KY. They will not rebuild the front inserts, only rear telescoping units.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Your pipe wrench should work fine..that's what I use...just lean on it a bit more. If your installing new Koni inserts you'll get a pair of new gland nuts anyway. With your new inserts you can put a small amount of light oil or antifreeze in the tube before installing the insert. The oil or antifreeze acts as a heat sink for the insert. It doesn't take much liquid as the insert displaces a good bit of the area in the strut tube. You'll want to have the coolant come about 2/3 up the length of the inert. I usually use the dip stick method to get it right...put a little fluid in the tube, stick the insert in and then pull it out to see the level of the fluid.
    Jason Burkett
    Paragon Products
    www.paragon-products.com
    Early 911S Registry #428
    R Gruppe #375
    1973 911S
    1972 911T
    1974 914 Limited Ed. Blk/Yellow
    1989 944 Turbo
    1993 968 Turbo RS
    1967 Shelby GT500
    1968 Shelby GT500 Conv.
    2010 VW GTI, Daily Driver

Thanks to everyone for the help, sounds like a little more aggressive with the pipe wrench

I have the special tool,,,,all that will happen is you'll break off the pins! I have always used the looooong pipe wrench method. Let the top of the insert stick back up in the top mount, then slowly let the strut turn to the end of the steering rack in the direction the strut will turn when loosening the nut. Now the strut is braced and you can really put some leverage on the nut.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I bought one of these and used a heavy rubber mallet and it came right off.
    Chris

http://www.grainger.com/product/PROT...Code=P2IDP2PCP