Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: 1965 911 transmission type 901/0 very early 5 speed with Nadella Axles

FS: 1965 911 transmission type 901/0 very early 5 speed with Nadella Axles

SOLD

I do not have a 65 911 project so I do not need this now but I am sure someday I will wish I did not sell it. So many 65 911 engines trading for big bucks but hardly ever do you see a 65 transmission.

1965 5 speed transmission type 901/0 for 65 911 cars, serial number 101564, casting date 14/65 if your car was built in March-June 1965 then this a great fit, 7:31 ring/pinion - AA, GA, O, U, Y (very rare early gear set). This one has been in a garage since 1969, the older gentleman that I purchased this from said he bought it from a Southern California junk yard in 1969 to use as a 5 speed in his newly acquired 68 912. When he got home he realized the Nadella drive flanges would not work on his car so he bought a different 5 speed transmission and this 65 911 transmission has sat inside his dry garage since 1969. There is no gear oil in the box as it was drained by the last owner, the insides turn like a working transmission - smooth like they should. I see no apparent issues from the outside of the box, all original exterior hardware, I see no parts switched around from other transmissions, speedo drive is dated 4/65, looks like it will work in current condition, no water damage, and this box can not have much wear since it has been stored for so long. All this being said the transmission is sold AS-IS.

The pair of Nadella axles are from a different car. They should be rebuilt. All parts are present from the drive flanges on the transmission, the plugs that cover the holes, the original Kamax mounting bolts. Rare set of axles.

, I will ship if you are patient. Located in San Diego California. Make an offer on the trans only if you do not want the axles, I will only sell the axles separate if the trans is sold first.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VintageExcellen; 07-11-2014 at 05:10 AM.

more pictures

Pm sent

Thanks

Jim

Mark, can you pop off one of those flange caps and measure the width of the bolt head it's covering?
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    Mark, can you pop off one of those flange caps and measure the width of the bolt head it's covering?
    bolt head is 19mm

Mark

I haven't seen one in a while but I think you have a LSD. Undo the bolt and pull the flange out of the trans and take a picture. If the flange has female splines it is a LSD.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Mark

I haven't seen one in a while but I think you have a LSD. Undo the bolt and pull the flange out of the trans and take a picture. If the flange has female splines it is a LSD.

Regards

Jim
    Yep, that's why I was asking. The LSD bolt is 24mm, so I don't think it is a 904 LSD. But definitely worth checking the flanges...
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    Yep, that's why I was asking. The LSD bolt is 24mm, so I don't think it is a 904 LSD. But definitely worth checking the flanges...
    I knew why you were asking. The washer under the bolt seems odd and so do the 2 holes on either side of the washer. Can't wait to see pictures of the flange.

Ciao

Jim

Hi Jim

Good point, my experience only goes as far as the original hardware - and I haven't owned an early box with an open diff. On the 2 factory boxes I've owned with 904 LSDs, there was also a faint 'Z' stamp located somewhere near the casting number - is that your experience too?

Cheers
    John
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

Wouldn't a limited slip be identified by the turning of the drive flanges? If they turn the same left & right then limited slip. If the turn opposite then standard diff.

Here is a picture. Look like standard splines to me (pic next to a 68 flange for comparison). The holes in the Nadella flanges look like some lubricating method, but why the bolt would need lubrication is beyond me.