Thread: What makes an MFI pump Ready to Run or a Core

What makes an MFI pump Ready to Run or a Core

So I have this pump from a 911T but I do not have any other real info on it. I really don't want to play the game of "ran when parked" because every time I see that it gives me a little bit of the creeps. I have included some pictures of the pump and did a little video showing how it turns over freely and how the arm returns sharply. I also included a photo of an unintended consequence. I left the pump on its side last night and came in to find this puddle of clean oil that had oozed out of it. Please let me know what you think. I do want to sell this pump but do not want to turn this into a for sale add, I really would like to know what people think about this pump and the differences between ready to run and core. Thanks

jonathan
    hwgunner
    link to Youtube video MFI VIDEO

Name:  MFI1.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  105.0 KB
    Name:  MFI3.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  84.1 KB
    Name:  MFI4.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  103.1 KB
    Name:  MFI5.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  53.6 KB
    jonathan
    hwgunner
    gprparts

Other pictures.

jonathan
    hwgunner

Name:  MFI6.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  118.5 KB
    Name:  MFI7.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  93.7 KB
    Name:  MFI8.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  93.4 KB
    jonathan
    hwgunner
    gprparts

member #1515
    I may be an outlier, but any pump without a recent documented test and evaluation from a trusted source is a core.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Yep. Without having personally seen the pump run in person or having a recently dated test report in hand, I'd consider it a core.
    Kind of a bummer, but practical.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Might not be what I wanted to hear but is on the other hand. Practically speaking what does that make it worth?? Any ideas??
    jonathan
    hwgunner
    gprparts

The pump is a 2.2E pump, not a T pump. On your video you turned the pulley/cam and it spun fine but it's not the "rack". To check the free movement of the main rack, remove the rubber cap just above the pulley, then with a 10mm or less OD wooden 5" long dowel or equivalent, gently push in on the main rack about 15mm, then pull back on the rod and you should feel the rack spring back. If you can't get a good feel with that method, remove one of the two pump side covers and watch the plungers move back and forth when you push in on the rack as before. If the plungers move, the rack moves, it's a good used/core pump worth about $800 to $1000.
    Mark Jung
    MFI Werks
    Early 911S Registry #972
    Carrera T w/LWB, MT, RWS, PCCB
    72 T 66 x 100 MFI Twin Plug Coupe
    R Gruppe #686

You can be sure a pump is bad with a few quick tests (will try to type this up later). There is no way to tell a pump is good, short of having it dynoed.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

So I tested it and the rack moves freely. Thanks for the help everyone.

jonathan
    jonathan
    hwgunner
    gprparts

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
    You can be sure a pump is bad with a few quick tests (will try to type this up later). There is no way to tell a pump is good, short of having it dynoed.
    I agree - easier to tell it's bad, much more difficult to tell if it's good.
    I had a core 2.2E pump that I sold earlier this year. Still had clean oil in it and turned over (but not so freely), rack didn't move easily either, so knew it needed a rebuild. PM or email me if you want pricing info.