Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dehumidifier?

Dehumidifier?

Thinking about getting one for the garage. Can anyone recommend a good unit?
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

I'm working on a new column now that deals with storing collectible cars. You might want to consider a Hygrometer for your garage. You can get them on Amazon.com for about $35.00. In an ideal world you want to store your cars with a humidity level of 45 to 55%. The temperature range should be between 68 to 72 degrees. Since we both live in Florida we know this won't be easy. At least we now have some guidelines for storage.

Richard Newton

I've been using Perfect Air 30 Pint Dehumidifier. I have two of them in different locations. The main features I looked for were external drain hose fitting (so I didn't have to empty the removable container) reliable and relatively inexpensive. I didn't want extremely dry air, just lowered humidity compared to ambient. This unit is a bit noisy but since it runs infrequently not a problem. I like the controls and settings.

Be aware of you area (cubic feet) you want to dehumidify and the relative prevailing humidity (such as seaside verses 5,000 in mountains).

Hope this helps.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

The new vented ones are nice because you don't have to keep emptying the tank ( my new switch )

external drain hose fitting

I assume you mean one that has an
    external drain hose fitting? As an FYI often the external hose attachment (garden hose size BTW) on some models can pull out easily. I ended up attaching the external drain hose fitting to the unit with a sheet metal screw to keep it secured.

Again, you do not want the area being dehumidified to be too dry. It will ruin leather and other materials.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Danby dehumidifiers come very highly recommended. One of their advantages over the competition which was important for me in Chicago is there performance in cool ambient conditions (45-60 F) which apparently isn't an issue for you in Florida. I have the Danby DDR50A2GP in my garage with a drain hose so I don't have to empty it daily. It's done a great job, but just this morning I ordered the larger DDR70A2GP because I moved to a house with a larger garage last year, and the smaller unit just can't keep up. At certain times of the year, I'll probably run both.

-Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Richardnew View Post
    In an ideal world you want to store your cars with a humidity level of 45 to 55%. The temperature range should be between 68 to 72 degrees. Since we both live in Florida we know this won't be easy.

Richard Newton
    Maybe installing a window or through the wall ac unit in the garage would be the better choice?
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

When I lived in central Fl I had a separate unit installed for the garage. We had 2 zones in the house and one separate zone for the garage. Here in SW Florida I have a warehouse with central air. It's really not all that expensive to run - if I set it at 80-degrees when I'm not working on cars. Before you buy a dehumidifier I would check out what it costs to put central air in.

I've also used one of those portable units that you can buy at Home Depot for a 2-car garage. I really wasn't impressed with it but it did allow me to work on cars during July and August.

Richard Newton

member #1515
    The newer mini split a/c systems are very good and economical to run. Much more efficient than a humidifier. If you undersize it a bit it will run longer, but dehumidify better.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

David- any brand of mini split a/c systems you would suggest?
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709