Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new Porsche 911 (991). A PDK

My new Porsche 911 (991). A PDK

I bought one six weeks ago.

I really like it. It is my first car with an automatic transmission (PDK).

I've tested it around town and two trips to the north Georgia mountains. First: The darn transmission somehow knows what gear that I want to be in. If the turn requires that I stay in 3rd, the computer stays in 3rd in order for me to attack the next turn.

It's interesting that I have a Goodyear tire, and my owner's manual explains the warranty of a Pirelli.

I can't explain it. It is really just a great car. The highly paid journalists in Excellence magazine can't explain it either (j/k guys).

Net, net; It is the best Porsche 911 ever offered in a long time. Excellence magazine and the new editor (Greg Huddock) says it's because you guys bought Cayenne's and Panamera's. I agree. Please buy a few Macan's.

I like my 911:
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

Lovely car.

Wife and I are considering a 991 50_Anniversary.

The mental obstacle yet to overcome is the epic depreciation of new Porsches. We may just wait for a used 50th and save a ton...

Quote Originally Posted by Louie View Post
    Wife and I are considering a 991 50_Anniversary.

The mental obstacle yet to overcome is the epic depreciation of new Porsches. We may just wait for a used 50th and save a ton...
    I understand. I am a little old now and decided that I better get one now than wait.

First: The gas goes in the passenger side. I keep going to the driver's side at the gas pumps.

Second: My left foot still keeps looking for the clutch. It's a hard habit to break.

Third: For some reason in the mountains, a slow car will quickly move over.

I've had a lot of other less expensive cars with more horsepower and bigger tires, but this one is the better car.
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Racer View Post
    Third: For some reason in the mountains, a slow car will quickly move over.
    Doc, that has nothing to do with the car -- they caught a glimpse of who's behind the wheel!

The new Cayman S is pretty slick, too. I've had a chance to blast a few around the local tracks and the level of performance is staggering compared to what else is offered in that price range.

The newest PDK gearbox software is pretty spot on, too.

Around town the cars are just spectacular. My old man hates new Porsches, but after driving a PDK 991 he is sold. Wish I could afford to buy him one.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmeth View Post
    ..they caught a glimpse of who's behind the wheel!
    I could dream.

Thanks Bill,
    It was great to meet you at Treffen. We had a good time for a couple of old guys?

I just had to brag about my new automatic transmission car. I promise that my left foot keeps going for a clutch.

I liked the design of the 991 since Porsche sent me a poster (I hung it in the garage immediately). I am really liking the software and overall performance.

I couldn't believe the 10K oil change thing? I guess I'll wait until the software tells me to change the oil.

This is not only my first car with an automatic but my first Porsche with an A/C that works well. Go figure. It also has a stereo radio.
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    Around town the cars are just spectacular. My old man hates new Porsches, but after driving a PDK 991 he is sold. Wish I could afford to buy him one.
    Things change and I may need to accept that. As we all know, 911's had a svelte and nimble look at the rear, where it was hard to imagine placing an engine at the rear.

That's what has changed the most perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by 62S-R-S View Post
    As we all know, 911's had a svelte and nimble look at the rear, where it was hard to imagine placing an engine at the rear.
    I'd be the last person to criticize Porsche. I guess that you are comparing the 40 year old long hood small bumper car to a modern car?

They do look different, but I'd say that each car is the most perfect car coming out of Zuffenhaussen in the last 50 years.

Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    PDK is by far the best dual clutch out there, but still, for a street car, bores me.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Quote Originally Posted by Digital K View Post
    PDK is by far the best dual clutch out there, but still, for a street car, bores me.
    As a self described "photographer, journalist", I would think that you should have some tech to support your position.
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo