Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jack stands on side's jack points ?

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar

Jack stands on side's jack points ?

Hi,

am lookin for jack stands which have the top part inserting into the car's side jack point/anchor. Any idea where to source or do I have to make them myself ?

I need those to lift my car enough to remove the engine.

Any other (non car lift/elevator) idea/technic welcome

Cheers
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

I wouldn't do it that way, those ports are too fragile after all these years -- if you don't want to use the bottom of the swing arm cover plates to put your stands under, take a 1" x 6" board across the belly pan as close to the rear bulkhead (where shifter rod etc pass through) as possible same width as car and place your stands outboard under the board.

Quote Originally Posted by brakekiller View Post
    Hi,

am lookin for jack stands which have the top part inserting into the car's side jack point/anchor. Any idea where to source or do I have to make them myself ?

I need those to lift my car enough to remove the engine.

Any other (non car lift/elevator) idea/technic welcome

Cheers
    Xavier
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Quote Originally Posted by John912 View Post
    I wouldn't do it that way, those ports are too fragile after all these years -- if you don't want to use the bottom of the swing arm cover plates to put your stands under, take a 1" x 6" board across the belly pan as close to the rear bulkhead (where shifter rod etc pass through) as possible same width as car and place your stands outboard under the board.
    Thanks for the safety tip. What would be the correct jack stand height to get enough space to pull out the engine ?
    X
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

It varies from car to car. Lower the engine onto the palette you plan to use to support it. Mine is 1"/2.5 cm plywood with extra strengthening at the edges & small casters; there are lots of suggested designs here. Measure how much more clearance you will need to slide the engine out. Put plywood blocks of appropriate thickness under the jack stands and again raise the car enough to allow clearance. Not speedy but works fine. Don't forget to block the front wheels.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by brakekiller View Post
    ...am lookin for jack stands which have the top part inserting into the car's side jack point/anchor. ..

I've had good luck with the jack pads and then switch to stands once car is up in the air of course. They are always for sale on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-..._Tools&vxp=mtr

Xavier,
    I like jack stands under the spring plates rear and the A-arms front.
    Mine are 5 ton, all the way up in back. I use my floor jack and have to raise the car in multiple stages to get it this high.
    It helps to remove the license plate panel for the additional clearance.
    However you do it be careful and take your time.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

to all, thank you very much.

I will order 5 tons stands as they are higher than the 2 tons I have. Then understood thtabI need to get it high enough, slowly and gently. Remove the rear bumper/valance.
    And being help by a friend.

Thanks again.

X
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

WOW Ken F - that's a very nice car!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    - Mark Z

ESR #2450
    http://letter26.blogspot.com/

Has anybody used those car lifts that use compressed air for lifting? chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Under the torsion bar tube is another sturdy area to support the rear end.

A level car is the best strategy to remove the drivetrain. However, supporting a vehicle that high w/o extremely sturdy jack stands isn't the most stable, and raising the rear higher than the front may create a removal angle that isn't ideal.

Instead of starting off with "max. height", lift and support at a comfortable working height (probably the max. of most common jack stands + 4x4 blocks as a platform). Once drivetrain is free, temporarily raise the rear end to roll drivetrain out, then return to the original lifted height until ready to reinstall. Other strategies may work equally well, especially on location with just a floor jack and a couple of jack stands.

Sherwood