Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any idea what this thing on my headliner is?

Any idea what this thing on my headliner is?

The joy of previous owners.

Just found this odd sensor (I'm guessing) of some type mounted on my headliner between the visors. Chasing it now. Anyone seen anything like it?

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 4.JPG

Sorry, should have specified that this is on my '76 turbo.

And we found it - a sensor for the heating system. Never saw one before.

In the early 930 era, the cars were loaded with all kinds of trim and equipment from the factory. It's like they were trying to distinguish the turbo as a GT as opposed to the 911.
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa

That is the sensor for the Auto heat. It keeps the cabin temp constant relative to where you have the central heat control dialed to.
    I have the same on my German market car. The small attachment plate is in good shape on yours. Impossible to find, but the sensor is the same as one found on Mercs from the era.

Does anyone have one of these sensor's available for sale? Please PM me!

The sensor is available from 80's Mercedes parts, if you check the Pelican Mercedes parts catalogue I think you will see it. The bracket which holds it to the headliner is NLA and impossible to find. Sometimes OEM ones come up on EBay or try a WTB on PP or R list. If someone's making a race car maybe they will sell.

If anyone finds this in the Pelican Mercedes catalog please post a part number. I can't seem to find it.

Most SC in the US have this sensor
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

Quote Originally Posted by platas View Post
    Most SC in the US have this sensor
    Not for me. I own four U.S. delivered SC's and none of them have this. Of all my 911's, only my '76 Turbo does.
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 10-17-2014 at 08:21 AM.