Thread: FIA racing spec 911 1965: value??

FIA racing spec 911 1965: value??

I am contemplating to build one of my 1965 911 cars into a FIA compliant classic racing car (category 1965 or earlier). I want to ensure I do not spend more than what it shoud be worth, but have difficulty finding cars for sale to depict the value to define my budget.

Anybody any idea what a well built 1965 FIA 911 would be worth?
    Car specs would be
    - MY 1965 (delivered before the summer, body/engine/gearbox)
    - 180 HP, solex
    - FIA cage 2004
    - LSD gearbox

Txs for yr suggestions and opinion!
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

Which series do you want to run? The french one is becoming spoiled by some English with massively underweight cars running plastic windows and modern roll cages. I'm afraid 180ps won't cut it anymore, the Swiss built cars are running around 190 and the dutch claim to have well over 200.

To try and answer your question, it depends a lot on the base car you are starting with. Something with a lot of originality (interior, panels, matching numbers etc) will be worth top dollar whether or not it's been converted for racing. The racing mods won't necessarily add any value but as long as they are reversible they won't detract from it either. There are a lot of 65 racers out there and the ones that are most sought after are those that are most likely to get invitations to oversubscribed events. That means the cars with low chassis numbers, the most original and any with a claim to period history. It doesn't mean those set up to go fastest. On these criteria the best FIA cars are in the 150k - £175k range and run all the way up to £400k for one very special car currently on the market.

As for those power figures in the previous post, they might be correct but I doubt anyone who is getting over 185hp is running a legal engine. 65 cars should run with small valves but a lot of owners seem to have forgotten this.....

On the weight issue, this is the big handicap for 911s in pre-66 historic racing. Porsche homologated the car initially at 1002kg. It's very easy to get a car down to 920 - 930kg. However it is also very easy for scrutinisers to check and as a result the fastest cars go for redistribution of weight rather than reduction. It's not uncommon to see a large lead weight bolted to the floor where the passenger seat would have been.
    Last edited by RennTyp; 07-12-2014 at 05:45 AM.
    Early 911S Registry #888

Here's an article I wrote about FIA certification. Your first step should be to get the papers from Paris. You don't need any actual race history but the car must be prepared to 1965 FIA specs. That's not as easy as it first seems.

The good part is you have a lot of FIA approved Porsches in Europe. Contact some folks who have gone through the process. It's my understanding that FIA papers add a lot to the value of a historic race in Europe. Here is the states it's not a really big deal.

Also find out who the FIA rep. is that will be doing the certification. Talk to him before you start the process.

Richard Newton

Txs for yr answer guys, helps me.
    Reading more the last couple of days, I am slowly coming to understand that a FIA car (without great history of driver or events) is likely to be worth much less than a correctly restored classic. The cost for such classic restoration is goig nto be higher I guess, but the value differendce between a racer and a 'normal' restoration is probably 2 times the extra cost. I estimate the extra restoration cost to be some 30 k€ (mainly finding 100% correct parts and restoring these), whereas the prices I see are probably 60 k€ higher.
    Is that a correct perception of current market?
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

Quote Originally Posted by pss View Post
    Txs for yr answer guys, helps me.
    Reading more the last couple of days, I am slowly coming to understand that a FIA car (without great history of driver or events) is likely to be worth much less than a correctly restored classic. The cost for such classic restoration is goig nto be higher I guess, but the value differendce between a racer and a 'normal' restoration is probably 2 times the extra cost. I estimate the extra restoration cost to be some 30 k€ (mainly finding 100% correct parts and restoring these), whereas the prices I see are probably 60 k€ higher.
    Is that a correct perception of current market?
    If you want 180+ hp out of the engine then that's going to cost you most of that budget. Other essentials are roll cage, race seat, electrical cut out, fire extinguisher, spare set of wheels, rain light, full race harness. The gearbox is the other big ticket item. You'll need to radically shorten the ratios (airfield or even shorter depending on which tracks you intend to race at) and an LSD. Might be more cost effective to buy a complete spare gearbox.
    Early 911S Registry #888

Quote Originally Posted by RennTyp View Post
    If you want 180+ hp out of the engine then that's going to cost you most of that budget. Other essentials are roll cage, race seat, electrical cut out, fire extinguisher, spare set of wheels, rain light, full race harness. The gearbox is the other big ticket item. You'll need to radically shorten the ratios (airfield or even shorter depending on which tracks you intend to race at) and an LSD. Might be more cost effective to buy a complete spare gearbox.
    True on both. Budget will not cut it, engine wil swallow most of that.

FIA says 5,5x15 Fuchs. Try finding 5,5x15 Fuchs with hump. Most cars I see wears 6s....

Spare gearbox definitely needed as Spa and 'Ring require full stock length gearboxes with longer low gears, while the little circuits require short high gears.