Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Reference: Tool Rolls & Contents

Hello and an advanced thank you for all your help in this amazing forum. I have been for quite sometime looking for an original toolkit for my 1968/Flat6 equipped 912 1968 Targa. I have finally found one and despite rummaging through most of the information on this thread; I do know I have both original and wrong tools etc. but I am still unsure what what should and shouldn't be in my toolkit and what year it exactly is..either 68, 72 or 73.5. I am hoping to just at least have a correct complete kit based on my toolbag and the correct tools already in it. I hope the photos help...Thanks again everyone!
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (7).jpg
    s-l1600 (8).jpg
    s-l1600 (9).jpg
    s-l1600 (10).jpg
    s-l1600 (11).jpg

Hello Al,

Sorry but you are going to have to keep looking for the right kit. One reason, maybe?, you couldn't find info on this kit, is much of it is post 1973 and we don't cover those later kits on this forum. Now we cover 912 tool kits in this thread. Look for that and you'll be OK. But I must ask you wrote: " 1968/Flat6 equipped 912 1968 Targa" Is that a 912 with a 911 engine? Just checking. Good luck with your search.

-Allen-

Thanks Allen, can you ID positively the date of my kit please? I actually thought as shown on some of the images on this thread including the open end wrenches, pliers and the bag itself etc. as being pre 73. Yes, my car is a 912 with a 911 engine. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by al agustin View Post
    Thanks Allen, can you ID positively the date of my kit please? I actually thought as shown on some of the images on this thread including the open end wrenches, pliers and the bag itself etc. as being pre 73. Yes, my car is a 912 with a 911 engine. Thank you.
    Al,

May I suggest you thoroughly go through this tread and absorb it. Also look on eBay for later kits. Doing that you will learn what you have. As I said, your kit is a mixture of years with some not even Porsche tools in it. Educate yourself. Good GLWS. Thanks.

-Allen-

I already have. Thanks nonetheless.

Tool geeks,

Here is a rare "Elephant Hide" tool bag from 1968. I've also seen this bag in an original 1969 911. List members, bags really aren't my bag; but I think the Elephant bag tended to come with cars that had the Elephant hide on their dash and door cards (panels). I think the predominant bag for 1968 with Black Smooth Vinyl, with a cream interior? Thanks.
    -Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 04-08-2020 at 01:19 PM.

Allen,

I too have been told that elephant bags weren’t in every 68 car, and have also been told by a seller at Lit show a few years ago- that they were in some 69 cars. Both sources were knowledgeable in my humble opinion. (Can’t say they are authorities.)

I am surprised that elephant bags outlasted the interiors, as they stopped the elephant interiors pretty early.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    Here is a rare "Elephant Hide" tool bag from 1968. I've also seen this bag in an original 1969 911. List members, bags really aren't my bag; was this bag standard for ALL 1968 models, including Normal's and T's?
    No. I've owned 2 low-mileage, one-owner '68 cars (still have one of them). Neither were optioned with elephant hide interior and both had the standard 1968 bag which is identical to '69 bags other than the interior vinyl which is a lighter "putty" color on the '68 bags and a slightly darker tan color on the '69 bags.

With the uniqueness of the elephant hide interior option, I'd bet my house that the elephant hide bags were intended specifically for those cars. Otherwise, why even make them and why have two versions of the '68 bag? I'd also bet that any '69 delivered with a '68 bag (elephant or standard) was done so inadvertently by the dealer or perhaps even the factory. Personally, I'd consider any such case to be an interesting part of the cars story as opposed to "correct" as the factory intended. But that's just me...

Were Elephant Hide interiors limited to L and S models? Small note: I edited my post soon after I posted it but some replies came too fast Thanks.

-Allen-