Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Reference: Tool Rolls & Contents

Appreciate the info everyone.

Bought my 66 912 13 yrs ago from 45 yr friend dentist who owned it since 78, so I`m pretty sure the kit has been with the car a long time......it`s a Reutter car
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have had several red interior bags over the years and luckily some came with original Phoenix belts in them. One linen bag had a late 65 belt in it, another one had an early 66 belt. I have seen the smooth vinyl ones listed as 1967 tool bags before. If a 66 car got sold late in the year a 67 tool kit may have ended up in it.

You can tell that the linen one is earlier than the smooth vinyl one from the lug wrench button. Vinyl is very thin, so it is hard to find them without any rips or holes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Makes sense to use the dated fan belts to attempt to date these kits to the model year they were meant for. Especially, using unmolested tool kits.

I understand that nothing is absolute about which model / year the kits came in and it’s very difficult to determine which vehicles they were placed in since dealers sometimes handed out whatever kit they had at the time.

Page #81 of Dr. Johnson’s new book has a “1969 912 elephant hide tool kit bag.”

I always thought the elephant hide bag was meant to match the elephant hide interior trim found in only the early 1968 911S/L’s. Not many elephant hide bags were made. Now, I understand that one could’ve still been around a year later at a dealership somewhere and that bag was issued to a 1969 912. Anything is possible. I firmly believe it was meant for the early rare elephant hide interior.

I also believe that for the next 20-30 years someone will quote the book to justify the elephant hide bag as being “correct”for the 912 and 1969 model year.. And so it goes.

Hi Anthony,

Yes for sure elephant hide bags were found in LWB 1969 911 and 912 Porsches. They probably were left over bags for the 1968 MY. Thanks.

-Allen-

Hello Allen,

I’m sure some made it over to the LWB and 912 models.

What are your thoughts on the red interior bags? Which bag came first, linen / red interior or smooth / red interior?

Quote Originally Posted by mejia_anthony View Post
    Hello Allen,

I’m sure some made it over to the LWB and 912 models.

What are your thoughts on the red interior bags? Which bag came first, linen / red interior or smooth / red interior?
    Hi Anthony, Since you asked me I'm responding with a prior disclaimer: "bags are not my bag." So, honestly, I do not know. I would add however that a linen exterior with a red interior is the cat's meow! I'd also venture a guess that the linen was earlier as it was, no doubt, more expensive and Swabians always want to save for the same function. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 07-23-2021 at 08:23 PM.

Sorting through the original toolkit for my recently acquired Ossi Blue 69S. All the usual suspects: bulbous, deep red screwdrivers, 69-style toolbag, correctly dated belt, and one of my favorite Porsche Easter eggs, the re-stamped 17/19 wrench with the non-standard "17". I have three of these wrenches in my collection and two of them I can date to 1969 toolkits (the third is an orphan of unknown provenance).

009.JPG

010.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Sorting through the original toolkit for my recently acquired Ossi Blue 69S. All the usual suspects: bulbous, deep red screwdrivers, 69-style toolbag, correctly dated belt, and one of my favorite Porsche Easter eggs, the re-stamped 17/19 wrench with the non-standard "17". I have three of these wrenches in my collection and two of them I can date to 1969 toolkits (the third is an orphan of unknown provenance).

009.JPG

010.JPG
    Cool. If it were a "55 double die penny" it would be worth a fortune. What we have here is a defective casting..there must have been a lot of them, the cast number "17" had a problem. "What do do Hans?!" No problem Jurgen, we'll stamp as 17 like in the old days. We Swabians are so smart and thrifty. Send it to Zuffenhausen, they will never catch it !

between what production dates would a car have the 73.5 tool kit?