Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Reference: Tool Rolls & Contents

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    Were Elephant Hide interiors limited to L and S models?.
    I've always been under that impression, and a quick Google search of 1968 elephant hide cars seems to agree. Of course, the second I post this someone much more knowledgeable than me like Erik L. will put me in my place (and deservedly so).

Small note: I edited my post soon after I posted it but some replies came too fast Thanks.
    Geez... I wonder where we're all finding the extra time?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    I've always been under that impression, and a quick Google search of 1968 elephant hide cars seems to agree. Of course, the second I post this someone much more knowledgeable than me like Erik L. will put me in my place (and deservedly so).

Geez... I wonder where we're all finding the extra time?
    +1 Unfortunately, we know the answer.

Porsche tool and 911 Fans,

Tell me about it ! I sold my numbers matching with original color, Polo Red, with one repaint. Soon after receiving it, the buyer repainted the car silver! Nice color and, yes, it was his car but Scheisse !!! Thanks.

-Allen-

Hello again! I have seen and read through 28 pages of this thread but I was wondering, is there a 'correct' way the tools are stored in the bag's individual pouches? It seems there are many variations but I was just wondering if there was indeed 1 correct and 'Porsche' specific way and in this case for a 68 SWB. It seems the tools; given their similar size, can fit in diffrent pouches within the bag. Thanks Expert Tool Geeks!

Quote Originally Posted by al agustin View Post
    Hello again! I have seen and read through 28 pages of this thread but I was wondering, is there a 'correct' way the tools are stored in the bag's individual pouches? It seems there are many variations but I was just wondering if there was indeed 1 correct and 'Porsche' specific way and in this case for a 68 SWB. It seems the tools; given their similar size, can fit in diffrent pouches within the bag. Thanks Expert Tool Geeks!
    Hi Al,

Interesting question. I think the best guide for placement of tools in the bag, is the photo in the Driver's Manual for the appropriate year. I'm away from my "library" for a couple more weeks, so I can't access a few manual I have for pix. I'm sure some members can look in their SWB and LWB by year manuals and post a couple pix. Thanks.

-Allen-

Thank you Sir, with the amazing knowledge and reference from folks like you here, I finally managed to complete my 'modest' quality but 'correct' 1968 toolkit. Unfortunately, I am also searching for an instruction manual...

I had an interesting discussion today with an old Austrian gentleman I met purchasing some tools. To add further possible complexity to this subject, he showed me this Messko gauge, the one on the left in dark Grey, that this came with his toolkit from his early 70's Porsche. I actually showed him my red one which I claimed is the one and only correct one issued with the toolkits. Nonetheless, not that I don't believe him but I cannot dispute how sure he was about his grey Messko in his toolkit. Another mystery...
    IMG_20200519_135616.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by al agustin View Post
    I had an interesting discussion today with an old Austrian gentleman I met purchasing some tools. To add further possible complexity to this subject, he showed me this Messko gauge, the one on the left in dark Grey, that this came with his toolkit from his early 70's Porsche. I actually showed him my red one which I claimed is the one and only correct one issued with the toolkits. Nonetheless, not that I don't believe him but I cannot dispute how sure he was about his grey Messko in his toolkit. Another mystery...
    IMG_20200519_135616.jpg
    Getting your pressure right guys and gals,

Al, that's an interesting gauge and with a similar scale. Here's the thing though: the maroon gauge is THE accepted gauge, the same one was used in 356 C/SC tool kits, so it is what we call the "de facto" standard. That means, of course, that if you have that cool black gauge with your car, "some people" may feel it is "incorrect." Let's face it, does anyone have a perfect memory, how sure can someone be that a small item like this gauge came with their car? After all that was over FIFTY years ago! We are NOT saying that possibly that gauge didn't came with the original kit but/and we've never seen one like that (BTW Messko made literally dozens of versions ) Thanks for your input.
    -Allen-

Hi Al,

Interesting question. I think the best guide for placement of tools in the bag, is the photo in the Driver's Manual for the appropriate year. I'm away from my "library" for a couple more weeks, so I can't access a few manual I have for pix. I'm sure some members can look in their SWB and LWB by year manuals and post a couple pix. Thanks.

-Allen-
    In these somewhat monotonous, for many, Covid times, would a couple list members take good scans from their drive'rs manual of the tool kit photo and post them? I'd do it but, am out of pocket for a couple more weeks. Thanks.

-Allen-

Thumbs up

Good idea Allen....

I'll start the thread in the Technical Forum....

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter