Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Reference: Tool Rolls & Contents

Allen,

My I impose on you to measure the width of the string?

Do you think the greenish appearance of the tie today is due to fading? was it originally black and faded to the greenish look?

Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Speedster911 View Post
    Allen,

My I impose on you to measure the width of the string?

Do you think the greenish appearance of the tie today is due to fading? was it originally black and faded to the greenish look?

Thanks for your help
    Sorry, I don't have one of those kits right now. I bet another list member can help you. Thanks.

-Allen-

Quote Originally Posted by Speedster911 View Post
    Thank you - does anyone have a source for the material or have the tie they would sell me?

what is correct length?
    If you have the bag, should be easy enough to approximate the length of the strings by measuring your bag and looking at the photo. I rather doubt whomever sewed all of those bags originally were all that picky on the exact measurements of the string lengths, equal lengths of the strings and exact placement of the bag attachment. I've only had one string bag and my recollection is that the strings were faded as you would expect from cotton shoestring. Personally I'd be banging around thrift stores looking for material, LOL.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Toolkit from my 66 912.....the black/red bag is pretty scarce I think....tool gurus?7DD99BA6-4862-4268-8EF0-5249A2A39D00.jpgC0380F4A-379C-481A-B99B-A46C639DAC64.jpg

Hey Bill, yes they are pretty rare. These are the ones I have, I previously posted this pic. My "smooth" one has the same clasps as yours. I think the guy who sells a lot of parts here also has a couple.

E
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the input Erik

The tool bags with red interior, is there a year difference for the linen exterior vs the vinyl exterior? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by muzeon View Post
    The tool bags with red interior, is there a year difference for the linen exterior vs the vinyl exterior? Thanks.
    Linen bags are earlier for standard toolbags. I've always assumed that the red interior bags were the same. No proof though. Eric?

linen/red interior are less common (rare) and I believe came before the smooth/red interior

Well, I would agree that linen came before smooth, with the clasps that we see here,.... with the cream interior.

But, Bill has this bag in a 66... I believe he's had this car a long time. Longer than what we could typically think of in having people mess with tool kit bags. So, with red interior bags, maybe smooth is first ..