Page 40 of 48 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Reference: Tool Rolls & Contents

I have this 17/19 spanner (wrench) marked PORSCHE.
    EB01D141-CAD9-4DDD-BC7E-76117B73B306.jpg
    3EB8D633-ADE4-4D1A-B9B0-D58DCD68902F.jpg

I often see orphan drop forged, special selected steel spanners etc asking quite high money and those West German made were not always unique to Porsche — they are generic. Presumably Porsche bought those fairly unremarkable generics in certain sizes to make up toolkits that are discussed so throughly in this thread. Quite often those generic ones can be found around Europe, not just metric sizes but in imperial sizes. I found a set of imperial sss from my father among many tools not part of anything he valued as were thrown in a mixed lot unlike others from Hazet etc he had carefully cared for in sets. So clearly generic no great shakes quality just interesting these days because Porsche happened to use them in kits I suppose.

For some reason Porsche around 1962 went to the trouble to have some spanners ( wrenches) made with PORSCHE on them, like this
    E3DB6E9A-522A-40A3-B6F5-1FAE34C6A730.jpg
    Rather than settling for what presumably would’ve been easier sourcing generic DFS SSS and so forth or Hazet as had been used before. Doesn’t seem to be anything special about it other than the PORSCHE brand marking. So not clear why they bothered having company name put on some batches? Quite neat to have the marking these days I suppose.

From the nicely organised 356 tool site this type seems to be for a 356 around 1962.
    F592519D-AD0F-4997-B9DD-7BEFF0CE66E4.jpg

I’m not often a seller of my old things so will probably keep it. I have friends with 356 so possibly there is a more suitable home if it is a rarity that helps complete someone’s special toolkit set. It has no real significance to me because have the correct ones in original toolkit for my car and I don’t plan to get 356.

Posting a question on this 911 thread because I’m wondering if these particularly in the 17/19 size had ever been part of 901/911 after the use in T6 B 356? Or other models of sixties? At this stage I’m not offering for sale just seeking to learn more — maybe folks here knows more about the PORSCHE marked ones? Are they common or quite rare?

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 04-08-2022 at 05:21 AM.

Steve, et al.

Yes the Porsche wrenches were found in 1962 toolkits, one year only. Since they are cool and say Porsche, they often ended up in mechanics' toolboxes. In the early 1960s Porsche changed the toolkit almost every year. In 1963 they had a really cheap kit with a tie bag and DIN wrenches. I've only seen the Porsche wrenches in the 1962 kits. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 04-08-2022 at 07:35 AM.

64 bag

I just found this very early tool kit bag, reversed colors, riveted and pull tabs. I also have the only one and three color early 911 bags I have seen, I like the oddballs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks nice and it is a weird one. Looks like, though, a 356 bag but that my opinion. Thanks.

-Allen-

Ive never seen or heard of a two color 356C-SC pouch. That is what differentiates 356C from early 911. They are dimensionally identical to the first 911 bags, If anyone has Id love to hear about it. I have seen many odd swb 911 pouch color arrangements. I bought it described as swb 911 from a Ca. business with 356 in their name, that being their specialty. Of course everyone is welcome to their opinion, especially educated ones.
    Last edited by 66S; 08-03-2022 at 04:24 AM.

Ozbey had a similarly bag as above, white exterior and black interior and he called it a 356 bag.

I also think it’s a 356 bag. Nice though.

Cem has given me some pretty bad info about early 911 key pouches so I doubt his expertise. Remember that 356C and 911 were both being built for a short time but .01% of the 356C bags might be two color and 99.98% of 911 bags are two color. I have provenance for my one color 66 911 bag, anyone with provenance for a two color 356C bag? Not all at once . Funny how one or two semi-knowledgeable people can stigmatize what I think is a pretty rare and valuable find, a 64 tool bag. Again, the 356 specialty business sold it as an original early 911-912 bag. I wonder if Doc Brett or other 356 guys have good data on 356C bags, I know the 911 guys are in the dark.
    Last edited by 66S; 08-05-2022 at 04:49 AM.

Somehow CEM thinks SS wrenches are standard to 912 tool kits. SS wrenches are few and far in-between, if they were a standard 912 tool kit items, you would think there would be thousands out there. I've had hundreds of DFS wrenches, but probably less that 10 SS wrenches. For sure the 356C tool bags came in many colors, but the one I've seen the most is the grey bag, which might turn a shade of green over time. I've talk to Dr. Johnson prior to the printing of his Early 911-912 book specifically on tools, he said, he is not an expert on tools. I provided him with a lot pics from archives and the trend or info I have gathered by have many partial tool kits over the years.
    Jim

Too many Porsches and one VW are starting to fill up my desert landscape.

https://www.instagram.com/1967s_307184s/

Personally, I've only seen this bag in several early kits. It is the only one I've seen. I've not saying that "C" bag is not correct, only that I've not seen it. The "C" bag came in many color combinations including two-tone bags.. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am trying to put the tools for my 65 911 (3011xx) back in my tool bag. Would someone kindly post a photo showing where each of the tools is supposed to go in the tool bag. Thanks!