Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Reference: Tool Rolls & Contents

Quote Originally Posted by ozbeycem View Post
    Thanks Allen. I wasn't replying to another person. I was asking if anyone seen one like this one or know the history of these bags. 1973.5 tool bags (string or snap) has darker color interior. I wonder if this lighter color interior bag is a manufacturing flaw or they came with some specific cars. For example I have a teal interior SWB tool bag that was specially for 912 models from what a friend told me. I have never seen another one of those teal interior bags, similar case for this bag. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Cem
    Would love to see the teal interior SWB bag. Post some photos here.

Thanks
    Anthony

Anything for my buddy Anthony Hope all is well.

Look what I have in Picture #4, took me 2 years but I found one. You are the only other person that I know that has one. Had to buy a lot of tools and bags just to get it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do we know when the change to the HAPEWE pliers in 1971 had been.

These two late 71 toolbags (https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1136669) (https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1139372) show both the HAPEWE version.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    Here are some photos that show: large and small font Drop Forged Wrenches. We can see from previoulsy posted "specimen" tool kits that the Large Font were de rigour for Long Wheel Base, post 1968 kits. Exactly when and how the small script Drop Forged came into use, I don't know. Opinions? We know the large font was present, of course, also for the 356 C kits BUT the 356C/SC (T-6) kits did not have 13mm wrenches only four not five wrenche like 911 (SWB and LWB) kits. Now the pliers have a satin finish for the SWB Porsche. Sometime, though, the pliers changed to a shinny chrome finish, also shown, exactly when? Opinions? These pliers are unmarked but some 356 pliers, at least, were marked Klein. As for the Hepewe pliers, IMHO we did not see them until at least 1972 if not later. Again, opinions? Thanks!

-Allen-

I haven’t read all 44 pages of this but my take on swb bag progression is this, smooth with rivet clasps and pull tags then same without pull tags then fine linen, then ribbed with either horizontal or vertical prominent rib orientation then back to smooth and the infamous 68 elephant hide. There are exceptions of course for whatever reasons. Linen texture is not ribbed texture.

Quote Originally Posted by ozbeycem View Post
    Anything for my buddy Anthony Hope all is well.

Look what I have in Picture #4, took me 2 years but I found one. You are the only other person that I know that has one. Had to buy a lot of tools and bags just to get it.
    All is well, thanks. Nice teal bag, unique for sure. Thanks for posting.

872CDF25-DFCE-4862-8299-701533AE1166.jpeg

The color (if any)on the buttons seems to vary over the years. Is that a correct observation and if so what is the evolution?

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Quote Originally Posted by preS View Post
    872CDF25-DFCE-4862-8299-701533AE1166.jpeg

The color (if any)on the buttons seems to vary over the years. Is that a correct observation and if so what is the evolution?

Richard
    It is not the color I look at, as most have the paint stripped over the years and can be misleading. The lug wrench pocket button stamps change over the years. When I have time I will show the button evolution.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk07 View Post
    Do we know when the change to the HAPEWE pliers in 1971 had been.

These two late 71 toolbags (https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1136669) (https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1139372) show both the HAPEWE version.
    I agree with Allen on those Hapewe pliers. I am 100% sure that specific type was in 1973.5 tool kits, also 1974-75 tool kits. I have seen them in very late LWB tool kits but I wouldn't call them LWB pliers. There is another type of Hapewe pliers that pre-date those in the pictures, I have seen them in earlier tool kits.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Henderson View Post
    Fun with tools guys !

Time to throw a monkey wrench in the werks Back in 2014 "helosixx" in post #12, showed photos of an "original kit" with DIN wrenches. At the time I was totally dismissive of these wrenches since I'd never seen them in a kit. But, perhaps? The last photo of three here is taken from the new RS Book by Drs. Gruber and Konradsheim and cleary shows the same DIN wrenches with the accepted reversible screwdriver and other tools of the RS kit. I believe I saw this same photo in the first RS book too? I don't know from where the authors took this photo. Does anyone know? Although very rare, it may well be that some late 1972 and 1973 kits came with DIN wrenches. Input? Examples?

BTW I'm not suggesting this photo changes what we've come to accept as an authentic RS tool kit as shown several times in this thread. Rather, at least for the DIN wrenches they may have appeared in a few kits. As for the painted pliers, very hard to accept those in any early 911 kit ! Thanks.

-Allen-
    Allen, I actually just saw this and thought I would respond, sorry for the 5 year delay, we had another boy and girl during this time which keeps me on my toes.=)

I can't be 100% sure these DIN Wrenches were original to the kit however I can be 98%. I found a 72 911S Targa under a tarp on a driveway in Miami. The car was in quite poor shape but luckily the owner for some reason put the toolkit in his garage saving it from the weather. The Serial number was 9112310962, the gentleman was the original owner and an attorney. He did NOT work on his own cars and this was his only Porsche. He drove as a daily driver until it broke at which point he put a tarp over it and left it in the driveway. I cannot see anyway this guy would have changed the wrenches, though not impossible, I'd say it is insanely improbable.
    I purchased the kit, added the towel and fuses to complete and sent to a friend with a 72 911S coupe Serial 9112300148 as he was missing his.

"Soterik" makes a funny comment a few posts down from yours which likely is exactly what happened. They ran out of wrenches during assembly of the kits and had to substitute. I've always been fascinated by the variations which can occur during manufacturing. It all comes down to "Don't stop the line". This is a huge point that judges miss when judging a hand assembled car. The possibility of anomalies must be factored in because the line could have made a quick on the fly variation to keep the line moving.

Even during assembly in very defined processes, when you add a human you will get variations.

I'd also like to take the opportunity to thank you for putting together this guideline. I've found it so helpful as I'm certain many others have. I'll continue to provide photos of kits from cars I believe to be original with the respective serial numbers for your reference.

All the best!
    Ben
    www.901motorsports.com

IMG_2376.jpgIMG_2375.jpg

Please identify what this bag goes to. Thanks!