Thread: ex Willy Kauhsen '72 Porsche 917/10

ex Willy Kauhsen '72 Porsche 917/10

What a pleasant, enjoyable and highly informative surprise yesaterday morning at the Canepa Cars & Coffee morning to see this unique car in the shop for a comprehensive refresh, overhaul and race prep.…………with most of its clothes off, no less.

It's rare enough to see these hisrtoric treasures in the metal at all, let alone with the body panels removed, to give one an idea of the masterful job the Weissach engineers did packaging the first Porsche turbo race car. This particular specimen was raced by Willy Kauhsen at the '72 Riverside Can-Am event. If you'll notice I've arranged the photos to more or less move from the front of the car to the rear.

Please look for regular coverage of yesterdays Canepa C & C later today or tommorrow in the "Drives, Tours, Gatherings forum".

Thanks for taking the time to log on,

JZG

PS: Moderators, please correct the title to "ex - Willy Kauhsen, etc " - JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 07-13-2014 at 11:45 AM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Safety in 1972

CanepaTour 292 by Max_911S_fahrer, on Flickr
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

……….and on to the second set.

JZG

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

The final of the three sets.

JZG

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    . . . Safety in 1972 . . .

Safety-schmafety . . . we're talking SIEG!

Besides check-out those 'saddle' tanks . . .

. . . not to mention the pedal position

Ay-yay-yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Not 'fixed' until the 962

Great pics, JZG
    Last edited by LongRanger; 07-13-2014 at 11:00 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    Safety in 1972

What are you talking about safety?
    That 1mm thick FRP panel is impact resistant and fastened with DIN spec wire ties.

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    This particular specimen was raced by Willy Kauhsen at the '72 Riverside Can-Am event.
    John, my friend, I hate having to be the one to rain on your parade, but the chassis in your photos is not the car that was driven by Willi Kauhsen at the 1972 Can-Am rounds at Laguna Seca and Riverside -- a car which I photographed and that can be see at the far left of the photo below. That chassis was 917/10-001.

For the 1973 Interserie Kauhsen obtained a new car from the Porsche factory, chassis 917/10-015, which was also painted in his distinctive yellow Bosch livery. It is this car, 917/10-015 that is depicted in your photographs. Ridden hard and put away wet, 917/10-015 sat for many years in the wonderful Rosso-Bianco collection in Aschaffenburg Germany and is finally being properly restored after having "made the rounds" of those less able to get the car on-the-button like the owner of the ex-Georg Loos 917/10-017 can.

-- David