Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any tips on the stripping process ?

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar

Any tips on the stripping process ?

All,

My engine has given up this morning while I was driving like hell at Le Mans Bugatti track. I will take the opportunity to have the engine out to restore the car and maybe make some custo. Therfore stripping out the car to make a full repaint and for sure some rust fixes.

I have many books on engine rebuild etc..but none on te stripping process.

Do you, lads, have any tips/tricks to strip a car ? (method, order, template notes, special boxes, etc.. ?)

All the best.
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

-- A designated space that is used for no other purpose. And won't be thru the duration. No kids, bride, dog is allowed to use the space to fix their stuff, use it as a place to temporarily store things, etc.

-- An 8 foot long bench that is used for no other purpose. And won't be thru the duration. See rules for use above.

-- A bzillion zip lock bags in quart and gallon sizes -- larger if you can find them. I've never seen them in Europe (don't people freeze leftovers??), but the kind meant to store stuff in the freezer work best -- they have a panel which you can write on with a sharpie pen.

-- smartphone camera -- Iphone, droid, etc. take pictures of EVERYTHING before you take it apart, remove wires, and after. Email them to yourself and back them up. These combined with a color printer makes things a lot easier to put back together.

-- Plastic dairy crates. I like these because you can put your zip lock bags in them, and you can see what's in them. They are stackable too.

-- Big plastic trash bags for carpets, seats, etc. to protect them from moisture, etc.

-- Tape the screws and bolts to the part that was removed with the screw or bolt in the hole it came from.

-- A space heater that can be used to heat your workspace. You will be a lot more willing to take your time if your fingers aren't blue from working in a cold garage.

-- Gibbs spray oil. This is great pickling material to prevent rust or corrosion while the bits are in storage. If not available, there has to be a European equivalent.

Stripping mechanically or chemically?

twist tie labels or 3x5 notecards - punch a hole thru them and run the bolts/washers/nuts thru them - the label tells you where so&so part goes when you get it back from sending it out or refurbing it

this method means the pics are a backup - you always want two ways to determine how to re-assemble -- 3 I guess if you include the shop manual & PET

Quote Originally Posted by geneulm View Post
    -- A designated space that is used for no other purpose. And won't be thru the duration. No kids, bride, dog is allowed to use the space to fix their stuff, use it as a place to temporarily store things, etc.

-- An 8 foot long bench that is used for no other purpose. And won't be thru the duration. See rules for use above.

-- A bzillion zip lock bags in quart and gallon sizes -- larger if you can find them. I've never seen them in Europe (don't people freeze leftovers??), but the kind meant to store stuff in the freezer work best -- they have a panel which you can write on with a sharpie pen.

-- smartphone camera -- Iphone, droid, etc. take pictures of EVERYTHING before you take it apart, remove wires, and after. Email them to yourself and back them up. These combined with a color printer makes things a lot easier to put back together.

-- Plastic dairy crates. I like these because you can put your zip lock bags in them, and you can see what's in them. They are stackable too.

-- Big plastic trash bags for carpets, seats, etc. to protect them from moisture, etc.

-- Tape the screws and bolts to the part that was removed with the screw or bolt in the hole it came from.

-- A space heater that can be used to heat your workspace. You will be a lot more willing to take your time if your fingers aren't blue from working in a cold garage.

-- Gibbs spray oil. This is great pickling material to prevent rust or corrosion while the bits are in storage. If not available, there has to be a European equivalent.
    Thanks a lot, This is already my space, no living creatures but me are ok to get in. I got the bench, the heater, the spary oil...I miss the plastic crates and the bags for the carpets etc..I'll buy all of the other things you mentioned. Btw, we do have zip lock bags :
    Name:  332694.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  18.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hesaputz View Post
    Stripping mechanically or chemically?
    Removing all the parts to get a naked shell Yep, am talkin car here.

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    twist tie labels or 3x5 notecards - punch a hole thru them and run the bolts/washers/nuts thru them - the label tells you where so&so part goes when you get it back from sending it out or refurbing it

this method means the pics are a backup - you always want two ways to determine how to re-assemble -- 3 I guess if you include the shop manual & PET
    Thanks for the tip, good one too. have tons of books...+ shop manual and PET

Any tips on the sequence ? Should I removed the interior first, or front trunk, etc.

Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Xavier,

While dismantling, as stated before, take a million pictures of what you work on BEFORE, under every angles possibles, while, if there is a subtility, and after.
    I never stripped a whole car, but, often find out that I miss THE picture from behind, which shows the position of the washers....

Right after dismantling, it is also a good idea to get your nut/washers/bolt into place. If not possible, tie them to the part they are going with.

Start by the "clean" things like interior, store it safe, dry and clean (away from mice also)

Take your time!

If you can afford a lot of shelves, do it!

Label everything

Don't be as lazy as I am with pictures, I swear I always miss a couple of them!

I found a decent article in Popular Science about stripping and rebuilding a porsche 911. This might help...

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2...che?nopaging=1
    James Hurst #1638
    R Gruppe #514
    911T with 2.2S Ps and Cs, Solex grind Cams and PMO 40mm

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    Xavier,

While dismantling, as stated before, take a million pictures of what you work on BEFORE, under every angles possibles, while, if there is a subtility, and after.
    I never stripped a whole car, but, often find out that I miss THE picture from behind, which shows the position of the washers....

Right after dismantling, it is also a good idea to get your nut/washers/bolt into place. If not possible, tie them to the part they are going with.

Start by the "clean" things like interior, store it safe, dry and clean (away from mice also)

Take your time!

If you can afford a lot of shelves, do it!

Label everything

Don't be as lazy as I am with pictures, I swear I always miss a couple of them!
    Merci Olivier, je vais etendre mon espace de stockage mumerique

Quote Originally Posted by zenithblue71T View Post
    I found a decent article in Popular Science about stripping and rebuilding a porsche 911. This might help...

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2...che?nopaging=1
    Thank you James.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

I also created a sheet that I catalogued the bag number, it's contents, and had a line for comments. This proved useful because it was a quick reminder of the sequence that things were removed and I didn't need to dig through the myriad of bags to locate the parts to figure out thing. As you reassemble, you can mark off the bags as they are used.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Like many folks have said, zip lock bags and LOTS of pictures. I sent all my hardware out to be re-plated and/or powder coated, so I could not keep everything together and had to rely on photos and PET for re-assembly. Even though I took many pictures, there was always one or two shots at certain angles that I missed. I found it is helpful to also take a few picture of the general area you are working on before you start as these pictures saved me a couple of times when I did not have the exact close-up picture that I needed. Use a good quality camera with macro capability and flash (usually not the camera in your phone) so that you can zoom in to see details later if necessary.

I also found it VERY useful to tag the photos with the car (I have more than one) and a category for the item in the photo, after you import them into your computer. Since I have hundreds of photos from my build project, this helps me quickly find the photos I am looking for.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945