Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any tips on the stripping process ?

A note book for parts.....as you disassemble the component you can make a note of anything that needs replacing, and instructions on finish required. Makes it easier to search through the parts manuals for numbers in fron of the TV.

Nothing worse then getting a batch of stuff back from the powder coater, and finding you left one piece behind.

You'll end up with a number of sub assemblies, that can be taken down further, depending how far down the slope you are traveling.

+ 1 on the boxes.......I used clear, with a note on the inside, of what it contained, and if it needed refinishing ect. You'll end up with a lot of boxes.

If you're pulling the wiring loom/gauges take a 100 photos and notes, and then take some more, and back them up on a stick (just ask me how I know)

A good stereo for the garage/work space!
    Tony

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jt912 View Post
    I also created a sheet that I catalogued the bag number, it's contents, and had a line for comments. This proved useful because it was a quick reminder of the sequence that things were removed and I didn't need to dig through the myriad of bags to locate the parts to figure out thing. As you reassemble, you can mark off the bags as they are used.
    Good idea, it is like keeping an inventory. Spreadsheet made, thanks for the tip !

Quote Originally Posted by frankc View Post
    ../.. I found it is helpful to also take a few picture of the general area you are working on before you start as these pictures saved me a couple of times when I did not have the exact close-up picture that I needed. Use a good quality camera with macro capability and flash (usually not the camera in your phone) so that you can zoom in to see details later if necessary.

I also found it VERY useful to tag the photos with the car (I have more than one) and a category for the item in the photo, after you import them into your computer. Since I have hundreds of photos from my build project, this helps me quickly find the photos I am looking for.
    2 additional good advises. Thanks !

I beleive I'll make a complilation of all the tips and publish it here !

Any more ?

I'll start soon.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Quote Originally Posted by classic View Post
    A note book for parts.....as you disassemble the component you can make a note of anything that needs replacing, and instructions on finish required. Makes it easier to search through the parts manuals for numbers in fron of the TV.

Nothing worse then getting a batch of stuff back from the powder coater, and finding you left one piece behind.

You'll end up with a number of sub assemblies, that can be taken down further, depending how far down the slope you are traveling.

+ 1 on the boxes.......I used clear, with a note on the inside, of what it contained, and if it needed refinishing ect. You'll end up with a lot of boxes.

If you're pulling the wiring loom/gauges take a 100 photos and notes, and then take some more, and back them up on a stick (just ask me how I know)

A good stereo for the garage/work space!

Packing the assembly/parts together before getting to the re-plated/powder coated shop. Good piece on that one too

I know exactly what you mean with the gauges....

Heater, light, camera....and damn good Music - I was missing that one !

Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

for an inventory, I just print out part of the PET and make notes on that

for pics, be sure to take pics of the same area from different angles to be sure everything is shown

when sending parts out for plating or powder coating - take another pic of them all laid out and count the # of parts - these places often lose parts

I had a friend who used this program, and I must admit I was impressed......

http://www.restoration-manager.com/
    Tony

Interior is a good place to start. I've dismantled numerous 911's but not for 20 years now. I always pulled out the windshield and the back glass first and then pulled the front hood before going after the interior. We always pulled off the doors before the interior too as it made removal of the seats easier. With the glass removed it makes taking out the interior easier.

If your panel gaps are good, drill some witness holes in the hinge, if not already there. It will save you a lot of time during the fit up.

And punch the door pins rather then remove the hinges, unless the gaps are off.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911 View Post
    when sending parts out for plating or powder coating - take another pic of them all laid out and count the # of parts - these places often lose parts
    I would like to add a similar tip. What I do is take a photo of all the parts laid out neatly before sending them off to be plated/coated. Then, when I get them back, I print out a full page image of the photo to use as a guide, and lay out all the pieces just as they were in the original photo. If anything is missing you will find out very quickly.

Here is one example of many such before/after photos I have:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

And one more...
    I only re-plate the larger or non-std fasteners. I usually toss the small stuff (8mm & smaller) and replace it as it is less expensive and less hassle. So have your notebook ready to write down what fasteners need to be replaced, and then order them in bulk every week or so, as they are more economical that way. It's also very frustrating when you are in the re-assembly phase and you run out of fasteners and have to wait a week to for the order to arrive. I wasted a lot of time like this until I just started ordering more than I need at the time.
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

As a start I will remove the engine coming wednesday with the help of a friend, therefore prep is in progress. Among the tips, I have created am excel spreadsheet which follows the structure of the Engine Parts Listing appendix from Wayne Dempsey book.
    Now I have 9 sections which contains all the parts details I should have while dismounting my engine. Each section contains : ref part number, part name, qty, comments, replace y/n, upgrade comment, box number reference , a link to the picture folder relative to it.

Bought tons of zip lock bags and various boxes.

I have also cleaned my space, installed the radio and additional lights. Once done I will remove the interior with the same method etc..

Am ready.

X-man
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407