Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vin # and fuel tanks

Vin # and fuel tanks

I have a couple questions
    I have a 72s targa vin # 9112310020. I just read an article at Stoddard that said the factory would use the first 10 or 20 cars for test dummies, crash test etc. is it possible that I have the first car sold to public. Is there a list of existing cars somewhere? not that it would make a difference, its my baby and not going anywhere but would be cool to know.
    Now for the fuel tank, I have a 71 t that I am restoring and the fuel tank has been sprayed black with something that has left it very sticky. I would like to strip it and put back to the grey. Any ideas what to use to strip it and what did the factory use to undercoat, paint the tank to get that grey color I see everywhere.
    Thank in advance for the help. From the maybe, possibly number one 72 s owner haha!

If not the first,,,you're sure in the running! Is your front spoiler /bumper fiberglass by any chance?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

The 10th production car; in this period the first 10 were reserved. What would be interesting is to find the production # on the lower dash frame hidden by the knee pad, and below the radio opening. That will tell you which Targa body they used. Do you have a photo of the paint badge by chance?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

here are some of your brothers who have '72S coupes with Vin numbers in the 20s
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...cier-1972-911S

The front spoiler was fiber but I bought a new from Porsche metal, painted and installed.
    Car is up at the farm but I should be able to pull knee pad and get back to you, will also get the paint code. I know it is black and the car is now black as well. I bet it was the first black one. Just a cool fact. I will get back to you next week on those numbers.
    How many digit number am I looking for and is it stamped or wax pencil hand written?

The first hundred or so 911S's had factory fiberglass front bumpers, I guess the steel ones weren't ready yet.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Really some were fiberglass, wow that would have saved me $1500 ouch!

I hope you kept the fiberglass part!
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Please say YES..............
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Yes still have and always keep anything that comes off any of my cars. I guess in this case it is good to be hoarder.