Thread: Detail with Re-adjusting Shift Coupling Link

Lightbulb Detail with Re-adjusting Shift Coupling Link

I pulled off my 1969 shift coupler and replace the bushings. That was fairly easy but reattaching the coupler back into the transmission to a default position so I won't nick gears, is not clear.

From 101 Projects Books...
    1. Have the transmission in 1st Gear.
    2. Reattach the shift coupler to the transmission, go ahead and tighten it with that 4mm hex through bolt. tighten about 8 ft/lbs
    3. Slide the shifter rod into the coupler but keep the clamped end of the shifter rod very loose.
    4. With the transmission in 1st Gear, place the shifter into the upper left-hand corner of the shift pattern.
    5. Clamp down on the shift coupler

Question: in step number 4; assuming this is written for 901 Dogleg, so upper left-hand corner meaning the far left hand corner of the reverse shift location? or is this suppose to be pressing in that wobbly upper left corner area in the dogleg 1st gear? Also, if I am making minute adjustments what happens if scoot this adjustment forward or backwards?

Can someone expand what is this step.
    E911SR #2107
    69 911T/S SWT 3.2L
    RG #384

Regis turd ab user

Thank you 911s55, a very helpful link, plus I like the description of the following procedure. On thing, because I am not an octopus, I'll try it next but with someone else in the car to hold the shifter shaft in place.

1. Put the car in neutral.
    2. Loosen the shift coupler clamping bolt.
    3. Align the lower portion of the shifter shaft so that it is vertical (centered in the fore/aft plane).
    4. Press the the shifter shaft gently to the far right edge of the 4th/5th gear plane.
    5. While holding it there, reach back and twist the shift coupler as far as you can in the opposite direction (clockwise as view looking towards the back of the car).
    6. Using your third and fourth hands, tighten the clamping bolt (alternately, hold the shifter with your left hand will slightly tightening the clamping bolt with your right hand. Then use both hands to firmly tighten the clamping bolt.).

If all gears don't cleanly engage, repeat the procedure but after gently pressing the shifter to the far right in step 4, move it slightly to the left before doing step 5.
    E911SR #2107
    69 911T/S SWT 3.2L
    RG #384

In number 3 above does it suggest that shifter coupler may need to be pulled out completely and realigned the splines to get it into place?
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC