Thread: Help 71e 901 transmission with throwout fork failure -- Pressure Plate removal

Help 71e 901 transmission with throwout fork failure -- Pressure Plate removal

Hello all.

I have a 71e 2,2 with a 901 transmission. I dropped the engine, and tried to separate the transmission. The reason I am doing this is I was pulling into the garage, and I heard a pop, and my clutch no longer was operational. It would not disengage the engine. So it looked like I had an issue with my throw out fork/bearing. I got under the car and tried to move the fork forward toward the engine, but it was very difficult to impossible to move. So the fork is pushed all the way back to towards the front of the car.

I dropped the engine this evening, and tried to separate the transmission, but I could not rotate the throwout bearing at all. Nor could I move the fork to take the pressure off the pressure plate. So I indie the pressure plate screws at the flywheel, and was able to separate the transmission from the engine. I was able to get the clutch disk out, but I am unable to get the pressure plate off.

There re still three flush screws holing n the pressure plate the I ken get to from the starter motor hole, but I am reluctant to remove those without knowing where to head next. Big question is can I get the pressure plate off from the front with the throwout mechanism pushing on it. Do I have to put the transmission back on and get the throw out mechanism off, if so how.

Any help will be appreciated. thanks
    -----

71 911E RS Clone (Analog)
    88 928 S4 (V8 Trans Axle)
    99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

Ok I read on the pelican parts boards that those flush screws provide access for me to thread in 6mm bolts to take the tension off the pressure plate. The post said that this will free up the tension on the fork and allow me to rotate the throwout bearing. I doubt it will be this easy, but I will see. I am still hoping I can pull the plate out the front. Wish me luck...
    -----

99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

Bolt the trans back up to the engine.
    Stick your finger in one of the 2 access holes at the top of the trans.
    Feel for the T/o bearing. You will be able to rotate it 90 degrees. Once you do that, you will be able to guide to T/O fork past the T/O beg. Once it is free you can unbolt the trans and it will separate easily.
    Removing the pressure plate bolts is a monumental waste of time and only done by people that don't know what they are doing.

Regards

Jim

Jim

My issue is I am faced with a situation where i think the mounting point of my fork failed. So now I am looking at a situation where the fork is wedged forward, and with some pressure that prevents me from turning the TOB.

So not your normal situation...... And I have to dismantle things a bit unconventionally. And just wondering if there is a way to get the pressure plate off.
    -----

99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

Success,

I learned the pressure plate can not be removed without getting the t/o fork out of the way. I had to undo the fork pivot bolt from the bottom. that allowed me to remove the fork and then the plate slid right off.

Still not sure what happened. The T/O bearing just would not rotate. I inspected all the parts, and everything seems to be OK. No evidence of an event. So I am not sure what is going on. I think the bearing may have partially rotated, and the fork wedged it in place....

I will reassemble and see what is going on.....
    -----

99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

Well if folks are interested, looks like my release fork is bent. My pivot bolt was grover, and the fork would bind. I installed a nee bolt, and when I went to turn the T/O bearing, one arm went on one side, and the other arm went on the opposite side. I found a used on on ebay, and will install next week. I hate to miss all these good driving days.
    -----

99 996 (Daily Beater)

Early S Registry # 1278

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Bolt the trans back up to the engine.
    Stick your finger in one of the 2 access holes at the top of the trans.
    Feel for the T/o bearing. You will be able to rotate it 90 degrees. Once you do that, you will be able to guide to T/O fork past the T/O beg. Once it is free you can unbolt the trans and it will separate easily.
    Removing the pressure plate bolts is a monumental waste of time and only done by people that don't know what they are doing.

Regards

Jim
    So after an hour or so of pulling and swearing, I decided to come here and see what I was doing wrong on my first engine removal and transmission separation. Sure enough, after a pulling the lever and turning the throw out bearing, it detached...as if it was meant to be...much joy ! Maybe next time I’ll decide that 45 mins is enough time before I search for the answer.
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow