Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 73 S replacement fuel tank (DANSK) fitment issue..

73 S replacement fuel tank (DANSK) fitment issue..

Attached is a photograph of why this new fuel tank won't 'seat' properly, and I am curious to know if others have experienced this issue. STODDARD assures me they have sold one of these tanks a week 'forever', and no one has ever expressed an issue. They also opened up boxes of tanks in their inventory and they all seem to be the same. The center 'snout' where the banjo attaches is 17mm in length on this replacement tank, where the original tanks are 7mm. The extra 10mm clearly interferes with the rack mount, and those 10mm are critical to allowing the tank to go back a bit further and allow the tank to align with the front tank hold down bracket hole. STODDARD promised to call DANSK this week, but if the story will be that no one has every complained, I'm not confident of a satisfactory fix. The obvious - but not desirable fix - would be to shorten the snout and hope that process is perfect to allow a no-leak seal. Thoughts welcome. P.S. thanks to Ed Mayo for taking time with me on Friday to discuss my dilemma....as he says, expect any after-market part to NOT fit properly!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hmm. No real experience with the Dansk tank, but looks like you need to cut 10 mm off, re-tap the hole for the banjo bolt and you'll be good to go. 7 mm of material is plenty to hold that banjo bolt. The copper washer determines the seal, so anneal or or use a new one and you'll be fine.

Ravi
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 07-15-2014 at 09:24 AM.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

I just confirmed that we are in contact with Dansk asking why they extended the bung for this batch. On some cars, this bottom one can can be used as a drain--and the two large ones for feed and return. But that's another story.
    Per Schroeder

Quote Originally Posted by Per Schroeder View Post
    I just confirmed that we are in contact with Dansk asking why they extended the bung for this batch. On some cars, this bottom one can can be used as a drain--and the two large ones for feed and return. But that's another story.
    Thank you for the note, and I am anxious to hear their answer and solution...I really need it installed soonest as the freshly rebuilt engine needs to be started for the first time since its 23 year sleep!

Are you using a new foam gasket?

Yes...not sure why you ask, but if your thought is that it is somehow interfering with the install, it is not. A new gasket - if anything - would affect the height of the install where my issue is a fore and aft one. The gas tank was pre-fit with a new gasket and without the fittings and it fit perfectly...it is the 'middle' fitting that is the issue because of extra long bung

member #1515
    Someone screwed up. Is that a threaded bushing, or a tapped thread?
    You can wait weeks for an answer from Dansk, or fix the problem.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thank you for your thoughts, and certainly not encouraging about hearing from DANSK, but hopefully STODDARD buys enough inventory to get their somewhat urgent attention. I admit to not knowing (or determining how to know) if I am dealing with a threaded bushing or tapped thread. There does, however, appear to be a 'second' series of threads...possibly a little larger diameter...about a half inch in from the threads that begin at the end of the pipe/bung.

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    Someone screwed up. Is that a threaded bushing, or a tapped thread?
    You can wait weeks for an answer from Dansk, or fix the problem.

Sounds like a threaded fitting. You'll want to check that the fitting runs the length of the bung before lopping 10 mm off the bung. There are lots of options, including welding a new bung. But I gotta say, sloppy of Dansk to do this. They probably measured off a later car.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

I had the same issue...it's real simple. You can return the tank and hope you can get the correct tank with the shorter bung...or cut it VERY carefully. I measured the length as perfectly as possible . Then made a cut slightly shorter and used a flat file to get to the exact measurement I wanted. You have to be careful because if its not perfectly flat,even the copper washer cant make up the difference. You will need to clean up the treads, so run the flange bolt through it a few times with some anti sieze compound or a good penetrating oil, and you wont have a problem. Also be sure to flush the tank when you are done because you will get metal fillings in the tank.... it will work..I PROMISE!!!