Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 911 from 1965 purchased, help me with restoration please ;)

The perforated vinyl is a carry over from 356s . The basket weave is what one would expect to see in a 66 or later 900 series car. I have had a few perforated vinyl seats from early 911s and I can attest to the fact they are vinyl, not leather. I don't think Porsche ever used perforated leather back in those days.

Regards

Jim

So basketweave material is vinyl and the rest - this is leather?
    Has 911 from 65' got headrests ?

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by terecha View Post
    I've "researched" the perforated leather/vinyl question. It turns out that I have a sample from Autos International which shows that pattern of perforations in vinyl, and Dr. Brett Johnson's book, Porsche 356 Defined, A Pictorial Guide says on page 113 (in the 356C section) "Soft Skai-Dur vinyl was used on the standard coupe seat. Inserts were perforated for better 'breathing.' "

I don't know of anything definitively addressing the question for the 1965 Porsche 911. For the 1966 model year, there is that brochure on Der White's 911/912 website.

Jim Breazeale has seen more early cars than I, so I'll have to defer to him.

The Certificate of Authenticity for your car says it has beige leatherette which is the color of the interior in the pictures. By the way, the pictures show the passenger's seat on the driver's side. The little lever that adjusts the backrest should be on the outside.

As to the headrests. Your Certificate of Authenticity doesn't list headrests, but headrests were optional in 1966. They were also optional in Porsche 356s; I've never seen a 1965 options list for the 911 but I have to assume headrests were available on all 911s. I think the parts can be adapted to a seat that didn't originally have headrests. They could have been added to your car sometime after it was new or the Certificate of Authenticity could be wrong. That's happened before.

The options in the 1966 Accessories list were:
    Option # 9444, Part # 644.521.085.13 Schiummerrolle mit Beschlag, Leder, links / Head rest with fittings, genuine leather, left DM 80
    Option # 9445, Part # 644.521.085.13 Schlummerrolle mit Beschlag, Leder, rechts / Head rest with fittings, genuine leather, right DM 80
    Option # 9446, Part # 644.521.085.07 Schiummerrolle mit Beschlag, kunstleder, links / Head rest with fittings, leatherette, left DM 59
    Option # 9447, Part # 644.521.085.07 Schlummerrolle mit Beschlag, Kunstieder, rechts / Head rest with fittings, leatherette, right DM 59

As far as I know, those headrests are "period correct" for your car.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

The pictures in your first post show the correct vinyl "basket weave" seats. There is also a headrest that would have been with the car since new. The headrests are exactly the same ones that came in 356s. Jim A noticed the seats are on the wrong side. He has a sharp eye!

Regards

Jim

Thx friends!

Another small questions:
    1. what is the best source of gaskets? Engine gaskets purchased from Stoddard. But the rest? I know there are gaskets and 'gasket like' products on the market.

2. What to do with wiring loom? Cables are hard and I have experience with motorcycle loom restoration only. This one is much more complicated. I don't want ruin this loom. Is it any place where new looms can be purchased?

3. What is the correct interior / exterior paint from 60's Porsche era? Enamels?

J.
    Last edited by terecha; 10-23-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Dear Terecha,

We have done a lot of early 911's before, and we can manufacture a complete new harness set for you.
    Please have a look at our website: www.kroonwireharnesses.com.

Regards from Holland,

Gerard Kroon.

Thx, will use your link.

Anybody knows?

1. what is the best source of gaskets? Engine gaskets purchased from Stoddard. But the rest? I know there are gaskets and 'gasket like' products on the market.

2. What is the correct interior / exterior paint from 60's Porsche era? Enamels?

3. How do you restore gauges?

Thx, will use your link.

Anybody knows?

2. What is the correct interior / exterior paint from 60's Porsche era? Enamels?

3. How do you restore gauges?

I'm not sure what non-engine gaskets you're referring to. In many cases several vendors use the same gasket supplier. As to body weatherstripping, there are a couple sources: International Mercantile, VeloceSpace and probably others. One supplier might make the best windshield gasket and another the best door weatherstripping. I suggest you post a specific question in the technical forum--I'm afraid I'm not the expert here.

Würth makes some "rattle can" satin black paints which are a good match for the dashboard. In the USA, there's currently Flexible Trim Paint Satin-Black and there are different paints in Europe. Most early 911s were painted with Glasurit enamels. Paint formulas today are different from the formulas used in 1965. You'll need a long talk with your paint and body shop to ensure you get a finish that pleases you, both as to historical accuracy and just plain good looks.

In the USA, virtually everyone sends gauges to either North Hollywood Speedometer (in Los Angeles, CA) or Palo Alto Speedometer (near San Francisco, CA). Both have a very high customer satisfaction rate--people who use one of them always go back. I don't know of equivalent shops in Europe, but there probably are some. Shipping gauges to California wouldn't be too hard.

Pelican Parts does have a tech article, Porsche Dashboard Gauge Repair and Refurbishment if you want to investigate doing it yourself.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 10-26-2014 at 12:37 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe

Jim
    I have #301349. I acquired it as a vintage race car. Looks like you know a lot about production and sequence. Can you tell me what this chassis number tells you?
    thanks
    DD
    Name:  photo (7).JPG
Views: 557
Size:  30.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by brookedale091462 View Post
    Jim
    I have #301349. I acquired it as a vintage race car. Looks like you know a lot about production and sequence. Can you tell me what this chassis number tells you?
    thanks
    DD
    Name:  photo (7).JPG
Views: 557
Size:  30.0 KB
    I don't really have access to much more data than anyone else, but I have owned my car for 17 years, so I've spent time trying to understand the limited published data,

301349 is just 33 chassis numbers "older" than my car. I would guess that's approximately 4 production days. I know my car was delivered in Wiesbaden on 21 June 1965, my guess is it was built in May or early June.

According to PET, the 25 lb. "bumper reinforcements" started with chassis number 301340.

The engine type would be 901.01 with Solex floatless carburetors (see post # 18 in this thread) and center lubricated camshafts.

The transmission type would be 901/0 (five speed).

I think the last car with a "four button" dashboard was around 301200, but I don't recall the source for that,
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA

1965 Porsche 911 coupe