Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting Austria - what's not to miss?

Visiting Austria - what's not to miss?

I am visiting Austria for nine days (currently in Vienna) and are planning to go see the sawmill in Gmünd and the Großglockner. What is more not to miss while I am here?
    Last edited by tomlin; 07-22-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Grossglockner while good can be really busy with cars, bikes and more so cyclists. I'd visit Zell am Zee , take the cable car up the Schonnenhone. If you stay a night or two in a hotel/pension you get free vouchers for the cable car and also the lake boat.

Berchtesgaden, Obersalzberg, and the Eagles Nest. Very beautiful area with deep history of a not so nice regime. Innsbruck and Kitzbuhl are also great destinations.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Quote Originally Posted by majordad View Post
    Grossglockner while good can be really busy with cars, bikes and more so cyclists. I'd visit Zell am Zee , take the cable car up the Schonnenhone. If you stay a night or two in a hotel/pension you get free vouchers for the cable car and also the lake boat.
    If you go to Zell am See go to Schurzgut (sp?). You probably can not access it but it's where Wolfgang Porsche has his private collection. Also the Porsche design studio is there. BTW the second picture I took out of the window of Butzi's room at the design studio. His room had a view at the Schurzgut and is still like he left a minute before.

Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Also see if anything going on at a local track Salzburgring. Stumbled upon that track some years ago and just drove on in and watched some locals tearing it up. Hotel Schloss Fuschl is a beautiful place near there.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

A Hotel recommendation would be Steinerwirt in Lofer http://www.steinerwirt.info/ .
    Been there and enjoyed it very much.
    Good food too.
    Not to miss are the small Mountain roads the south. e.g. Staller Sattel (one way traffic so if you're first in line befor the redlight you have no oncoming traffic (except pedestrians and bicycles).

Cheers

Uli

Many thanks for your input guys. I have three nights booked in Zell am See, so I will check out the surroundings.

Might sound a bit odd, but if in Salzburg, the cemetery is a must see!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    - Mark Z

ESR #2450
    http://letter26.blogspot.com/

The tables are being set at the Ferry Porsche Conference Center in Zell am See for tonight's dinner with a (washed) 919 Hybrid as a decoration. But I guess I'm not on the guest list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrzoop View Post
    Might sound a bit odd, but if in Salzburg, the cemetery is a must see!
    st.sebastian cemetery at the linzergasse i love this place....live just 3 min away from that place..so if you visit salzburg on monday or thuesday (out of town on sat+sun)and you have some spare time...gimme a call and i show you my garage.