Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Correct 69 911 "S" Engine?

Correct 69 911 "S" Engine?

Hi folks,

Total novice here. I found a 69 911S for sale but the engine looks incorrect. If I understand correctly, the 69 had fuel injection. This engine seems to have carbs. Haven't seen it in person yet but don't want to make the trip if it is wrong. The serial number provided by the owner decodes to be an "S" and it is badged as an "S" but something seems fishy. I am driving to see it tomorrow so any immediate help is appreciated.

Here is a photo:

Name:  00101_32LDhXgJ5yv_600x450.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  47.0 KB

Hope the photo worked…

- Stew

Stew,

The engine type should be 901/10
    The engine number should fall between 6390001 - 6392126

And as you know the serial number for a coupe should fall between 119300001 - 119301492

Hope this helps,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Chuck,

Thanks so much! I guess I was hoping that somebody could ID the engine from the picture (or just confirm a 69 S would never have carbs / air filters) and save me a 3 hour drive to look at the engine number. Perhaps it isn't that obvious?

Thanks again!

- Stew

Injection

A 1969 911S engine would have come out of the factory with Mechanical Fuel Injection, that engine has carbs. Many engines were switched to carbs along the way. The other parts of the engine may be all S, or may not. I see it has a red fan housing which is correct. If you intend to restore the engine and replace the injection it is expensive. If you figure all the injection systems are 40 + years old and will probably need a pump rebuild, the butterflies rebuilt, and a rebuilt or new fuel pump plus the whole system purchased you may be looking at upwards of $10,000.00 alone.
    Mike

Thanks Mike,

Given the values today, I think $10k is reasonable to bring to back to spec. I f you could get the car with an "S" serial number and an "S" engine (minus the fuel injection) older restoration, almost fully functional (less heater) for less than $50k, would you buy it?

- Stew

Take the three hour drive what's the worst that can happen? You get to look at a early Porsche, 69S being very desirable, the weather is going to be sunny, and you're obviously not working. It's a win, win scenario.
    Happy hunting.
    Registry #1777

Have the seller read you the engine number. Easy to read location. See if the number falls within the numbers Chuck gave you. Then you will know whether it is worth the 3 hour drive.

One of the problems with the 69S is that it had the first fuel injection pump #001 and Porsche replaced that pump mid year as it was a problem
    in a lot of cases. The next version had the #005 pump. People gave up on MFI over the years and did as Mike suggested and swapped over to carbies.

Is the S engine the one that came with the car as that would be very relevant to your decison. If it is then I would answer with a big yes assuming the rest of the car is in decent condition
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

If you have the VIN and the engine #, let me know them, and I can guess if it is a matching set. Also look for the 901/10 type # and the build # below that; see info on these here:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...Engine-Build-s

Get photos of what you can see, and include the VIN stamp in the front along with the aluminum VIN tag, and the paint badge on the left door hinge post.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Thanks Mike,

Given the values today, I think $10k is reasonable to bring to back to spec. I f you could get the car with an "S" serial number and an "S" engine (minus the fuel injection) older restoration, almost fully functional (less heater) for less than $50k, would you buy it?

- Stew
    Stew,
    A clean 69T would be worth a 3 hour drive and.......possibly 50K.
    You really need to have someone with knowledge look at the car before buying.
    Are you looking for an investment only or a good car to have fun with?
    H