Thread: S cam identification

S cam identification

I have an engine that I discussed in a previous post. I have pictures of the ends of the cams and would like to know if the cams can be identified based on the markings on the ends. I don't want to disassemble the engine any further than I have to as I suspect it is a running engine. Do the S markings mean they're S cams or did they all get that marking? The engine is early and so if they are S cams, they would be '67 or '68 cams as there is no MFI drive on them. Thanks in advance. Name:  S cams.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  86.1 KBName:  S cams 2.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  93.6 KB

Look the same as on engine 960029, a very early '67S. Hope that helps.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit View Post
    Look the same as on engine 960029, a very early '67S. Hope that helps.
    Yes, that does help. So is there anyone out there who has a set of normal cams from '67 - '68 that could tell if they're stamped with anything like this?

Only the 'S' cams had an 'S' stamped on them.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I encountered an anomoly (spelling?) with a 1969 911S engine with numbers on the cams that were a bit confusing. Apparently during that period Porsche used similar - not exactely the same - numbers on various models that had different grinds. I'm not an expert on this, but it is worth considering when looking at early MFI cams.
    Jerry G

"Confidence is the feeling you
    have before you fully understand
    the situation."

I ve a 2.7 RS spec engine with MFI, again does the S on the cams mean they are S. And like the OP I dont want to strip the motor further, are there any other markings I should look for?

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    I encountered an anomoly (spelling?) with a 1969 911S engine with numbers on the cams that were a bit confusing. Apparently during that period Porsche used similar - not exactely the same - numbers on various models that had different grinds. I'm not an expert on this, but it is worth considering when looking at early MFI cams.
    Where were these numbers stamped, and what were the 'numbers' They could have been aftermarket cam grinders who will usually stamp grind numbers on the back of the cam, only place there is enough space.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

When I encountered the "different" markings on the cams on the 1969 911S engine I had machined, the shop answered the question this way.

"And when I profiled the cam with the “E” part number it measures as an “S”... So we’re golden. I since found out that for 2 years, Porsche did an S cam with 1 letter off from the “E” part number. And that “S” number isn’t in the spec books. Since then I have found 2 more cams with the same #."

That is all I can say about the numbers. I know nothing, as the saying goes.
    Jerry G

"Confidence is the feeling you
    have before you fully understand
    the situation."