Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Plates

There are 2 separate programs as mentioned above, and one of them does allow the re-use of the original, 1963 stamped plates, as long as they are not in conflict with anything else currently in use. Look at ebay and see the sales prices for the "approved" original '60's plates…big $$$, and the plates are different than current, the word California was embossed then, for one.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

I figure my plate set is worth, what, $500? Maybe a little less?
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I must be out of touch. I bought mine a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    I must be out of touch.
    You said it. Not me.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

This would be an excellent set for a '72 911...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-1972...#ht_120wt_1105
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

'What's My Plate Worth?'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    . . . the rumor has it that the Dunkels bought the "PORSCHE" plate for Cheryl's Carrera from some guy who had it on his Toyota pickup truck. I think there was a comma in the purchase price...30 years ago . . .
    I heard its been snatched more than few times, too

And now I'm wondering what the '911' plate's worth? . . .

. . . or 'FORD'?

. . . 'CHEVY'?

. . . 'CARRERA'?

. . . 'FERRARI'?

We Can Be Heroes

1) ...Typical/nasty junk-yard take-offs . . .
    Mid-'60s vintage, worn + crusty --- fr plate's not that awful, but the rear (the 'money' plate)'s kinda trashed . . . w/ reg tags from the '80s

Price = Pass

2) Hard to tell from pics --- but these could be NOS. Or re-finished. Big difference --- to me, anyway. Opening price isn't bad . . . but I'd still need to come up w/ the proper reg tag . . .
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ORIG...item339274011a

(I've seen repros offered for not-obscene prices, but, well . . . )

Price = ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

As of today, looks like the California DMV will only re-issue the black plate with this program. And there is no specific description of how they will reproduce them.

DMV description:

Legislation introduced the California Legacy License Plate program offering vehicle owners the opportunity to purchase replicas of California license plates similar to those issued in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s. Only the plate or plates that reach 7,500 orders before January 1, 2015 will be implemented.

Legacy License plates can be ordered for any year model automobile, commercial vehicle, motorcycle, or trailer. The Legacy License Plate Program will not replace the current Year of Manufacture (YOM) license plate program.

The DMV is accepting pre–orders until January 1, 2015. A pre–order form California Legacy License Plate Pre–Order Form (REG 17L) (PDF) is available for these plates. The completed form and $50 payment must be mailed to the address provided on the form. Payment can only be made by check, money order, or cashier's check made payable to Department of Motor Vehicles. Pre–orders will NOT be processed at DMV Field offices or Auto Club offices.

California Legacy Plate Program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

California Legacy Plate Pre–Order Form (REG 17L) (PDF)

PAYMENT: Check, Money Order, or Cashier's Check ONLY.
    Payable to: DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES.

Mail REG 17L WITH a $50 PAYMENT to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
    Legacy License Plates
    Customer Service/Operations Support, MS H203
    PO Box 825393
    Sacramento, CA 94232–5393

PRE–ORDERS WILL NOT BE PROCESSED AT DMV OFFICES or AUTO CLUB OFFICES

REFUNDS: Your payment will be refunded shortly after January 2015 if this plate program is not implemented, or if your desired personal plate configuration is not available and you did not request a sequential plate substitution.

To cancel your PRE–ORDER, mail an Application for Refund (ADM 399) to the address shown above. The refund request must clearly indicate that the refund is for a pre–ordered Legacy License plate and include the personalized configuration ordered, or state if a sequential plate was ordered. Please include your name, address and daytime telephone number in case we need to contact you.

NO REFUND will be issued after the program begins and your plate number reservation has been made.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

I have this set clear and available for assignment for 1970MY - given current prices of cars - plates are $3,000.00 - that is chump change for a $200k rusty 911
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser