Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valet key

Valet key

I have a valet key, red, that came with my car I don't have the original black key. Can a black key be cut from a red key? Currently I use the red key for the ignition and one door. There is another black key for the other door , I'm guessing that the red ignition key is original to the car.
    M.A.Spirito

Yes, you can cut a black key from your valet key. My understanding is that the only difference between the two keys (black and valet red) is the number of seams that run the length of the key. The valet key has 3 while the black key has 2. The ridges on both sides of the key that move the wafers in the tumbler on each would be the same so you can use one to cut the other. You can also rekey the one door lock so that the one key fits both doors and your ignition. Does it fit your glove box?
    Member #2666

You can also go to any Porsche dealer with your VIN and they will order a key cut from the original code.
    Rob Abbott

It does fit the glove box but I'm unable to open it as you might expect
    M.A.Spirito

Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    You can also go to any Porsche dealer with your VIN and they will order a key cut from the original code.
    I've tried this with the dealer and been told that they can only do it with newer cars.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

I ordered a new set of keys (2 red, 2 black) last year via a Porsche Center in Sweden. I also got the factory Key number so I could have Carl print it on the repro Dom key card I ordered from him. The cost was about €225 and I had them within a week.

www.lockandkeyid.com

Tony is THE source for Porsche keys. End of discussion.

I have had him cut me a key over the telephone.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

For all key and lock issues my recommendation is to contact Tony Euganeo. Here is his website. He's a wizard.

Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Quote Originally Posted by kentf14 View Post
    I've tried this with the dealer and been told that they can only do it with newer cars.
    I know for a fact they can, I've had the dealer provide the key code and have keys made for a 71.
    Rob Abbott

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    www.lockandkeyid.com

Tony is THE source for Porsche keys. End of discussion.

I have had him cut me a key over the telephone.
    True, but the poster only has the valet key having Tony make a duplicate doesn't solve his problem. He needs the original key code to have a key made that fits both the doors, ignition and the glove box. He can get the code from the dealer and have Tony make it, it would be cheaper.
    Rob Abbott