Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lemmertz vs KPZ steel wheels

txs! I love these stories!
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

This is some great information
    Thank you
    I have 2 questions just to confirm

- so for my MY66 (manufactured 9/65) I need a 4.5X 15? Is that right?

- if so, does anyone know if someone has a set of chromed ones? Stamped before that date is preferred but not a must!

Thanks
    Wael

1963 356B coupe ivory
    1966 911 slate grey
    1966 912 sand beige
    1968 912 Irish green
    1991 964 Carrera 2 coupe Guards red (gone)
    2008 997 Carrera cab Black with red interior (gone!)

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wjishi View Post
    This is some great information
    Thank you
    I have 2 questions just to confirm

- so for my MY66 (manufactured 9/65) I need a 4.5X 15? Is that right?

- if so, does anyone know if someone has a set of chromed ones? Stamped before that date is preferred but not a must!

Thanks
    Yes, 1965 and 1966 Porsche 911s and 912s had 4½ x 15 steel wheels. Chrome-plated wheels were standard on 911s and optional (290.00 DM - $72.50) on 912s.

As to sources, Adam Wright at Unobtanium and Jim Breazeale at EASY should have good stocks of used wheels. Stoddards has reproduction steel wheels and Sierra Madre Collection has refurbished and reproduction steel wheels.

And, those wheels would need hub caps. 911s and 912s came with chromed Porsche emblems on the hubcaps. Colored enamel crests were optional (16.00 DM - $4.00) but seem to have been uncommon. Hubcaps are difficult to restore. Bob Barns at the highly regarded Verne’s Chrome Plating wouldn't touch them. I once saw a post in which someone claimed to have gotten hubcaps restored, but I don't know by whom.

Hubcaps with chromed crests are available from Stoddards and Sierra Madre Collection. It may be cheaper to buy hubcaps with enamel crests and harvest chrome crests from used hubcaps. The crests can be rechromed fairly inexpensively.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 06-25-2015 at 12:25 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Sierra Madre offers one hubcap restoration for free for every wheel restoration (re-chrome) you have them do, no idea about the quality. Jim why would it be so difficult to restore the caps?
    I have heard that if you want to re-chrome the wheels, the rim and heart need to be separated and after the chroming be welded together again. True?
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pss View Post
    Sierra Madre offers one hubcap restoration for free for every wheel restoration (re-chrome) you have them do, no idea about the quality. Jim why would it be so difficult to restore the caps?
    I have heard that if you want to re-chrome the wheels, the rim and heart need to be separated and after the chroming be welded together again. True?
    Well, I've never found anyone to restore hubcaps. As I said, Bob Barns at the highly regarded Verne’s Chrome Plating wouldn't touch them--he identified them as "chrome washed stainless." I'm guessing that "chrome washed stainless" is chromium plated directly over stainless steel, if so, it's probably nearly impossible to do anything about scratches.

As I said, I had heard that somebody had gotten hubcaps restored. I didn't know Sierra Madre Collection found such a service; I'll have to ask them about it.

As far as I know, and according to everyone I've ever talked to, you do need to separate the center from the rim to rechrome a steel wheel. Otherwise, you won't get the copper, nickle, and chrome into the crevices. That's why rechroming steel wheels costs so much.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet