Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip to Monterey

Road Trip to Monterey

Have scored a room for the week in Carmel and have made the decision to drive through the desert. Leaving 0430 on Sunday morning 10 Aug and rolling from Scottsdale through Wikenburg to Kingman and then on to Tehachapi or Mojave on Sunday night. Then to Carmel Monday. Thinking of taking 146 from the 5 to go by the James Dean site. Anyone interested in coming along? Might be warm, but I am hoping a fun trip

My Inspiration

'86 44 Turbo, black/red,7's and 8's fuchs, autothority - sold (rocketship)
    '97 Boxster, first delivered in DC Metro, silver/red -sold (huge mistake to buy this one)
    '99 C2, silver/black, RoW M030, limited lip, short shift - sold (good ride, but...)

'69 912, 3.2 with all the trimmings
    (finally got air cooled)
    Early 911S Registry Member 2044

Lightbulb

Dave,

I think you mean HYW 46 not 146, the James Dean monument is in front of the 'Jack Rabbit Cafe' just past where 46 and 41 come together.

That's cool and I guess something to see... once

But I would suggest another route:
    5 to the 46, go West for only 10 miles then take 33 North to Coalinga (parallels 5 but no one around), go West on 198 (Great road over two passes with a high valley in between) to 101, go about 20 mile North on 101 (keep to the speed limit for the 20 miles - King City is CA.'s biggest speed trap) to Greenfield, off at first Greenfield exit North to first light, left on the the Arroyo Seco, that turns into G16 Carmel Valley Road (one of the best roads in CA)......and all the way into Carmel......

Been do'n this basic route for over 25 years......... You will thank me for this.....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

thanks Chuck. will take your advice. Was doing the route numbers from a very shaky memory. A quick question. It looks as though 46 continues west of Paso, but not as 46 but G14 Naciemto Lake Road. Anyone driven that?

My Inspiration

'97 Boxster, first delivered in DC Metro, silver/red -sold (huge mistake to buy this one)
    '99 C2, silver/black, RoW M030, limited lip, short shift - sold (good ride, but...)

(finally got air cooled)

A quick question. It looks as though 46 continues west of Paso, but not as 46 but G14 Naciemto Lake Road. Anyone driven that?
    46 west intersects 101 about 3 mile south of where 46 from the east intersects 101.....

G14 is a very scenic HWY that travels kind'a north/northwest and will eventually get you back to King City...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I got caught out by the 46 east vs. 46 west when I was coming back from Parade. Spent an hour or so on some amazing roads in Paso but wound up at a dead end, went back to a fork in the road, then wound up going back north. Finally called my buddy who had recommended 46 and found the error.

I would not recommend G16 as it is extremely rough/bumpy except for a couple short sections (which are very nice). It is scenic, but very slow due to the bumps. At least in my car (22/31 torsion bars, no sway bars).

On my way to Parade I took 101-33-150-101-154-101-1
    On the way back I did G16-101-detour-101-166-33-101

I can say that the 166 was quite scenic but once you get up near the desert- er, I mean Central Valley- it got very hot, very dry, and very desolate. I am very very glad I did not break down or get lost there (the only place I could have gone wrong was missing the turnoff for the 33). 33 was very nice but I got stuck behind slow traffic once I got onto the final grade down towards the ocean (which is the good part).
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

thank you for the suggestion. Figure my bad decision is actually driving from Phoenix/Scottsdale in August. Hoping to get out of the heat by leaving early and driving really fast to keep the air moving. Not sure what to do about the return trip.

Do any of the Arizona folks know the condition of the road from Wikieup, called Chicken Springs Road? From Google Earth it looks to be unimproved, but would provide a great short cut from highway 93 to Yucca. Otherwise it is go all the way north to Kingman and then back south again.

My Inspiration

(finally got air cooled)

Ca g16

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    . . . the Arroyo Seco, that turns into G16 Carmel Valley Road (one of the best roads in CA)......and all the way into Carmel......

Been do'n this basic route for over 25 years......... You will thank me for this . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    . . . I would not recommend G16 as it is extremely rough/bumpy except for a couple short sections (which are very nice). It is scenic, but very slow due to the bumps . . .
    '. . . scenic . . .' huh?

Kids!

. . . also twisty, off-cambered, blind-apexed, un-striped, un-curbed, w/tons o' trees --- usually crowding the roadsides . . . + only barely policed = awful-awful

If you drive it at night? --- bring extra underwear . . . and a hose. (If you do have an 'off' . . . they'll look for the birds to find ya . . . )

I melted an ABS unit, last time . . .

We Can Be Heroes

deluxeco
    G14 is ok on its own with some wide, fast sections, but if you take it to Nacimiento Fergusson Road, that can make G16 (Carmel valley road) feel almost civilized. Both can be punishing but are must drive routes when in the area IMO. Targa CA has been back and forth over both over the years and they're a blast. When entering Fort Hunter Ligget on Nacimiento Furgesson, sometimes there are guarded entry checkpoints where the military requires your drivers license, registration and proof of insurance. Many times I've been though they've been unmanned, but it's best to be prepared because it's a long way to go back and around. Personally, when leaving Monterey early, like just pre-dawn, I've had two completely unimpeded drives down highway 1 where I didn't come up on another car until Cambria. So worth it. A totally different road with no traffic.... So many possibilities. Hard to go wrong.
    Ian Smith
    ES # 1523
    Skateboards
    Bicycles
    Motorcycles
    Truck
    Carrera

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post

'. . . scenic . . .' huh?

Kids!

. . . also twisty, off-cambered, blind-apexed, un-striped, un-curbed, w/tons o' trees --- usually crowding the roadsides . . . + only barely policed = awful-awful

If you drive it at night? --- bring extra underwear . . . and a hose. (If you do have an 'off' . . . they'll look for the birds to find ya . . . )

I melted an ABS unit, last time . . .

OK, help me out here. Do G16 or not?
    Also, AZ guys, can anyone help with what "appears" to be a short cut from Wikieup off 93 to Yucca. Via Chicken Springs Rd and Alamo Rd. Both look to be unpaved, but Google Earth has a hint at least they are relatively wide. Thoughts on this little idea? Looks to cut a lot of miles from the run up to Kingman and then back down to Yucca

My Inspiration

(finally got air cooled)

Re: G16

All I can say is my memory of the road consists of dodging tree root bumps and potholes. After the A-arm smashed into the chassis for the third or fourth time I realized I wasn't going to be doing more than 5/10ths. I was cringing while going under trees where the light was dappled because it was hard to tell if I was going to do any damage to me or the car. I had an open road but never pushed too hard because of the suspension bottoming. That said, once you get to the last hill climb and descent it is smooth enough and it is all plenty twisty and with nice views. But I honestly thought some of my fiberglass was going to fall off. Luckily none did, though.

A friend of mine had warned me about it beforehand so I wasn't too surprised, but it was bumpier than I thought it would be.

Maybe it is the car you use. My friend has a car with similar stiffness and ride height to mine, but he's got raised spindles.
    Maybe it's my So Cal road quality standards.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425