Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must have books for 911 purchase?

Must have books for 911 purchase?

All,

Looking for some good books that I can lug around with me to help me make a better purchase. Currently looking at Porsche from either the 70's or 80's.

Also, what is the point from no return for you on a restoration project? I am handy and not opposed to restoration.

Thanks!

Edited
    Last edited by scubachris; 07-28-2014 at 06:38 PM.
    Chris
    When you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it. T. Roosevelt

Welcome to the board Chris. Not sure I fully understand the question, but there's a ton of books to choose from out there. You could start with this. Lot's of reading there. The point of no return, in my opinion, is where the structural rust repair get's beyond your capabilities, given the unibody design. This theme will come up over and over in the books suggested. Good luck with it.

Thanks, I have a list of book on my wish list in Amazon. I just didn't want to buy a book that really wasn't up to par. I figured someone on here would be able to tell me the must have books and the ones to stay away from.

As to the second question, I really want a late sixties to early seventies 911 but I can't afford one in really good condition. Hence the question of what to avoid.
    Chris
    When you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it. T. Roosevelt

Regis turd ab user
    Before you give The Amazon Empire more $, take the list of books you want to buy and post the list here and over on Pelican. I am sure there are plenty available that guys would love to sell or give away.

also, post what "restoration" means to you

Chris
    you can also look at http://www.alibris.com/ I just purchased 3 hardcovers on Porsche history and paid $22 the shipping was more than each of the books. I cant understand how they can process the order and ship out for what they charged. I believe it is the red book that everyone talks about it was on there used also.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________

"The problem with the world is the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt" Bertram Russel

Chris:

Start with Porsche Technical Specifications, 912, 911, 911T, 911L, 911S, a little white book publlished by Porsche that has all the engine and chassis numbers for 1967 and earlier (another edition covers later cars). That way, you can tell exactly what model year you are looking at. It's out of print but available on eBay and maybe Amazon. Beyond that, the Dean Batchelor / Randy Leffingwell Porsche 911 Buyer's Guide is good, followed by the Porsche 911 Source Book. For more details, you need Karl Ludvigsen's Porsche, Excellence Was Expected, published in 1978; the most recent editions are out of print and won't be back until 2016, but the early editions are available on Amazon at reasonable prices; this book gives you exact descriptions of improvements from year to year. See also www.toadhallbook.com; we specialize in Porsche books.

Frank

Thanks everyone.

The books on my list are: Porsche 911 Performance Handbook, 1963-1998: 3rd Edition (Motorbooks Workshop)
    Illustrated Buyer's Guide Porsche: 5th edition
    The Complete Book of Porsche 911: Every Model since 1964

As far as Restoration goes, I can do mechanical but body work is beyond my patience and ability
    Chris

I seldom look at my Porsche books. Most of what I need can be found right here.

Richard Newton

Original Porsche 911 by Peter Morgan.

All accessories codes&description, all improvements, all models 901/911-993, many color pictures, perfect literature.
    Registry member No.773