Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dual batteries

dual batteries

I have zero luck with my dual batteries on my 71 911s!! I purchased two in Aug. 2012 and there both NFG this year! What am I doing wrong? I charged them both in the fall before storing them in a nice dry warm basement.

they work best when used regularly. If not, you need to keep a trickle charger on them. It is a real challenge keeping batteries alive when they are not used a lot.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

I hear that it's not good to store them direct on a concrete floor, store on wood or a pallet.

thanks guys, where do you purchase your batteries from and what make are they?
    Rick

Regis turd ab user
    My last Interstate lead acid batteries lasted 8 plus years while on a Battery Tender, something happened to either the maintainer or one of the batteries and one of the batteries and the maintainer puked. Caught it before too much damage.

Recently replaced all of the above with two Westco batteries and a Ctek maintainer. I drive my car only occasionally and keep it on the charge constant through late fall-early spring. The Westco needs a 2"x4" shim in the rear of the battery box for the hold down clamp to work properly.

http://www.batteryweb.com/mazda-miata-batteries.cfm

Sonnenschein batteries are a direct fit replacement although not always available.
    http://www.batterysales.com/sonnensc...evailerger.cfm
    Last edited by 911s55; 07-31-2014 at 12:55 PM.

Fantastic !! thanks so much for your help!
    Rick

Yeah, my wife was complaining about my every two year battery purchases. Life got in the way many times for regular driving habits. May 2010 is when I got my latest pair of Interstates and they are still going strong at the moment! Difference? I drive it every week now. If I skip a week they die. Quick trickle charge and they fire right up. Let them sit for too long and they die an early death. $$!
    1973.5 911T
    S Registry #1977
    Point 5 Registry #1

73-T
    Do you know the Interstate battery model number by chance, when I do replace these batteries I should hook up a trickle charger for some added life and $$$ !
    Thanks!

With all humility and a certain amount of scepticism, I must say that I don't understand threads such as this since my experience with batteries has been so different. I am fortunate enough to maintain a larger that average collection of classic vehicles, some of which are not run for weeks or months at a time. The cars are kept in wood framed garages subject to the variables of eastern Long Island weather ranging from weeks of below freezing temperatures to summertime highs of 80s to low 90s. I do not use any form of trickle charger and hardly ever check my fluid levels, yet my batteries start the cars when required and last on an average of 8-10 years. My best performance to date yielded 16 years from a Sears 36 battery. Lest anyone think that my purchases are special, they are not, being mostly size 24 from a wide array of manufacturers as selected on sale from the local auto parts stores ever since Sears closed its nearest location some 10 years ago. Most of the cars are equipped with battery cut off switches that sever all connections when the cars are not in use. Not to be contrary to other posters, but I have the same experience with batteries in the marine environment, although I must admit that due to the potential downside of electrical failure on the water I have instituted a replacement schedule of four years regardless of performance. Many of these batteries find their way into automotive uses when their seagoing lives are over. In summary, I have no explanation for what seems to be the extended lives of my batteries except for, perhaps, consistant use of the cut off switch.

Regis turd ab user
    Quote Originally Posted by go fstr View Post
    73-T
    Do you know the Interstate battery model number by chance, when I do replace these batteries I should hook up a trickle charger for some added life and $$$ !
    Thanks!
    911, really!

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/p...~21-2147384903