Thread: Kundendienst gearbox

Kundendienst gearbox

I have a KD gearbox. I guess it would have been a Kundendienst box, probably something went wrong during warranty period and the case was replaced using original internals, but I would like to hear other opinions on this KD number.

Erik

Name:  IMG_4249.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  182.5 KB

It could be the original case with the KD added, and the internals rebuilt. What is the casting date on the side of the main case near the diff cover?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I don't think either scenario is very likely.

The most efficient way for Porsche to deal with significant engine or transmission problems was to replace the unit with an equivalent KD rebuild, ready to install. Then yours would be rebuilt, stamped KD, and be ready for the next customer. These cars were people's daily drivers, needed back as soon as possible. No-one cared about matching numbers or originality in those days.

Jon B.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
    I don't think either scenario is very likely.

The most efficient way for Porsche to deal with significant engine or transmission problems was to replace the unit with an equivalent KD rebuild, ready to install. Then yours would be rebuilt, stamped KD, and be ready for the next customer. These cars were people's daily drivers, needed back as soon as possible. No-one cared about matching numbers or originality in those days.

Jon B.
    Sounds like a likely scenario

Erik