Thread: Determine Correct Application & Value of Copper Faced Pressure Plate, Flywheel,Discs

Determine Correct Application & Value of Copper Faced Pressure Plate, Flywheel,Discs

I've researched, and haven't come to a 100% acceptance of if I have the correct parts for one application or mixed parts - so looking for help. Also, will be selling this for a older friend who has a large stash of Porsche parts, so need to determine correct value, as I can't find many of these being sold, since they have been NLA for a while.

NOS Copper faced pressure plate - Fitchel & Sachs. Has what I believe to be a date stamp from 1971. I *think* this is correct for '67 to '69 S engines.

Two NOS Clutch Discs - I *think* the thinner style, for use with both a copper faced pressure plate and copper faced Flywheel. About 6.7mm at the outer lip, and 6.8mm at the inner part of the friction material.

One copper faced flywheel - used. Looks to be in very good shape. The gentleman I am helping remembers it as re-coated, but I can't tell and don't know how to tell.

Worst of the ring gear wear:

Now - my first question, is about application - are these parts correct together for the same year/model '67 S or '69S etc? If not, what are they for?

Finally, what is a fair market value for these (I am trying to get the most for these for my friend, but not wanting to sit on them for a year)?

Whoops - meant to put this in technical until I determine value. Can a moderator move it for me?

That copper faced stuff was used in 67 & 68, by 69 they had gone to a metal spray finish on the aluminum pressure plate, and a standard flywheel, but the disc was thinner to make up for the thicker pressure plate. Pretty sure the copper stuff used standard thickness disc. If a car came in with the copper stuff it was usually all used up and was thrown away.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed.

My understanding was that the disc for use with the copper faced PP and Flywheel was thinner to accommodate the added thickness on the flywheel and PP? I thought a few years may have only used copper facing on the pressure plate (and not on the flywheel) with a standard thickness disc?

To the best of my knowledge copper was always used on both the flywheel and pressure plate, at least that is how I have always seen them. Kind of a short lived idea however, parts book should tell you if they were to be used together. Standard depth of flywheel is 22.5mm, if yours is less then for sure a thinner disc is used. On the 69 the flywheel was standard depth, all the additional thickness was on the pressure plate.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I agree with Ed - the '67S/'68S models used a std thickness clutch disc - only the '69S models used the thinner disc (to compensate for the thicker steel coating on the '69S alloy pressure plate).
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Yes, basically the same as I said on your Pelican thread. I understand the copper face was a 1967 only variation that did not turn out well, and may not have lasted the year. I once used a copper faced PP, and it did not last long. A thin 1969 friction disc is too thin to be used with the copper faced PP.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

The first run of 69S pressure plates were also copper faced like the above pics. The replacements were not due to poor performance. Most of them were wasted early in the car's life no matter how it was driven. I have the original from my car.

So you will have two applications in the wild

1. 67/68S copper faced PP

2. 69S copper faced PP. Check the foot of the plate as it will be thicker to accomodate for the thinner friction disc. These measurement details have been discussed numerous times in past threads
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Thanks a lot for the input, guys. I did search, but found nothing conclusive for the parts in my hands.

beh911 - is there somewhere I can get a PP foot thickness to measure mine to see if it is a 67/68 or early 69 PP?