Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which racing livery / deco ?

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar

Which racing livery / deco ?

Dear all,

I seek your brillant and clever inputs - I am rebuldign myself my flat 6 and taking the opportunity of the engine out to repaint. So I have started to strip out. Am a fan of race cars, and I do quite a significant amount of track days a year as an amateur.

Would you :
    Apply an existing Porsche race livery from mid 60 to mid 70 ? If so which one ?
    Create your own ? If so waht would be the criteria/template/tips ?

Free-up your mind.

Cheers
    Xavier
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Thumbs up

Xavier,

I've thought about this a bit........ so this is just me

- I would not copy a former vintage livery
    - I would use only period factory colors
    - I would paint individual panels, or separate parts, a complementary factory color to the factory body color - front bumper/rear bumpers/hood/deck lid/valance - in any combination you want.

This in fact was done often in the day for expediency; if you damaged a part of the race car it could be replaced without having to match some elaborate livery.

If you look at the factory period color book and think of all the possible beautiful (an outrageous) simple combinations it staggering.

Add to this simple scheme a couple of big white (or your color choice) number circles (for me they would be without numbers) and there you have it............

My .02

Cheers and luck with what you do,

Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Xavier,

I've thought about this a bit........ so this is just me

- I would not copy a former vintage livery
    - I would use only period factory colors
    - I would paint individual panels, or separate parts, a complementary factory color to the factory body color - front bumper/rear bumpers/hood/deck lid/valance - in any combination you want.

This in fact was done often in the day for expediency; if you damaged a part of the race car it could be replaced without having to match some elaborate livery.

If you look at the factory period color book and think of all the possible beautiful (an outrageous) simple combinations it staggering.

Add to this simple scheme a couple of big white (or your color choice) number circles (for me they would be without numbers) and there you have it............

My .02

Cheers and luck with what you do,

Chuck
    Thanks Chuck, good pieces of advise.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Xavier,

I fully agree with Chuck Miller's wise and sensible advise, and fully support his suggestions.

Yes, Yes, I know it's all about "de gustibus non est disputandum", and that it is totally pointless to argue personal taste and opinion, but I think how one presents one's car aesthetically and the various chioces one makes say volumes about a car's owner.

Personally, if I were in your position, I would spend most - as in the vast majority - of my time, money and mental energy on the mechanical aspect to ensure that the planned car performs exactly to my envisioned specs, I would use only the finest compomets, have only the best, most trusted people work on the car, strive for maximum performance on all levels, ( safety, handling, braking, speed, drivability, comfort, etc. ) and keep it as tasteful and presentable as possible while enjoying the cars ability to make me completely happy.

I am not sure how imitating '60s or '70s race cars would help achieve any of the goals outlined above.

To help illustrate what I believe Chuck means, I have attached three photos of cars which frequently visit the monthly EASY meetings and to a large degree fit what I think are Chuck's ( and my ) ideas.

Respectfully, and wishing you Good Luck

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Do your own thing and you'll be happier for it. I mean, look at this old guy. Doesn't he look happy?

Cornwall
    UK

Thumbs up

look at this old guy. Doesn't he look happy?
    Indeed he does..........
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

even this would make you happy ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Hello Xavier,

In the 60's and 70's, people were not afraid of flashy colors. Orange, green, yellow, blue, etc. Especially for sport cars. What do you have? A Porsche 1976? So,be courageous and creative my friend.

I agree with Chuck; round white number plates sans numbers are a great period touch... as are (tasteful) old-school stripes. The side-script also adds a bit of vintage flair. To me, mixed colors on the body panels has to be done very carefully.... otherwise it just looks like you bent a panel and replaced it with whatever you had lying around... which might have been fairly common for race teams back in the day, but to me there needs to be a sense that you intentionally have different colored panels.

Name:  summer_2014 004.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  180.8 KB

JMTC
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

John, Thanks for the inputs, I have already tuned my car on the mecanical and am very happy with the result. Now as you mentionned, this will not make the car faster, but it will feell beter.
    I like the yellow one, pure.

Keith, this is my intend but seek wise comments, as yours and the other ones just to guide me. Decision is mine of course.

Jacques, thanks - My car is light ivory, and was thinking of having the front hood, the roof and the rear lid signal orange or viper green. Then having the 2 pairs of Pallas in Satin Black, the black Porsche side script, and the white round on doors and front hood. Maybe an additional Big Porsche crest (with orange bars to match the orange) or a BP stickers to match the green.

Jordan, this looks terrific, as the yellow one from John post.

I have Chris Jury kindly doing my wish in drawings :-)

Please more inputs.

X
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407