Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy needs fender flare help, 1968 911L

New guy needs fender flare help, 1968 911L

Hi guys,

After years of lurking your forum, I've finally purchased my first 911. It's a 1968 911L (yes, the one from eBay). The car is on it's way to CA from MI. I'm trying to have the car ready to go to some events at Monterey car week but if I'm going to make my timeline I need to order bumpers right away. I'm not a fan of the Iroc bumpers.

Here is where I need the help. Nobody can definitely tell me what flares are on the car and therefore I can't figure out what bumpers to order. If I have to wait till the car gets here, it wont be ready in time for Monterey. Not the end of the world but if the answer is obvious to anyone the help would be appreciated. The previous owner is really nice but he didn't know much about the car or Porsches in general.

I know the rear flares are fiberglass and it has 15x8 Fuchs all around. I've already ordered the new suspension components and I have 7" Fuchs for the front, amongst other stuff.

Can anyone tell me what fenders/flares are on the car and what my bumper options are?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to repaying the favor.

Name:  $_57.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  111.7 KBName:  $_57.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  105.7 KBName:  $_57.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  92.8 KBName:  $_57.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  108.0 KBName:  IMG_0422.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  57.1 KB
    Last edited by NorCal Ollie; 08-03-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add pics

Since they are fiberglass it's hard to say exactly. They do look like ST flares to me though. I can tell you that they definitely are not RSR, RS or turbo. Another giveaway is the torsion bar opening. On an ST flare the opening doesn't have a "step" for recessing the cover. Either way, it probably doesn't matter. There is no rear bumper that will just bolt up since this is a SWB, assuming the wheelbase has not been changed.
    1976 Turbo Carrera

If this is a 68 it's a SWB and those are LWB flares. Something seems odd, when you get it check to see if the torsion tube holes in the flares align with the torsion tube, I suspect it doesn't.
    1968 911T R.O.W. / 68S engine.

I see a lot of trim de-blacking, flare-removing, bumper-swapping, ride-height-lowering, seat-exchanging, interior massaging and wheel-width-lessening in your future

There are some great examples of well-sorted 68L cars, and everyone has their own preferential style, but IMHO Bob's is pretty darn close to perfection. Good car to use for inspiration.

Name:  DSC_2058.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  304.7 KB

Congrats on your new project, looks fun! Keep us involved in your journey.
    Last edited by bxd; 08-04-2014 at 06:58 PM.
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

Anyone here also think that they look like ST/RSR front flares on both the front and rear?
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Whatever it is someone went to some effort. Either it was converted to LWB or extensive fitting was done with the rear flairs/bumper. LWB flairs on a SWB car will not lineup with the wheels, this one looks like it has been worked or converted to LWB. Rear bumpers do have a bit of a SWB look, but so hard to tell from the photo angles.
    When you get it look it over closely and evaluate before picking a path forward.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Two wErds: Hart Ski.

Discuss.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Banned
    I think I would be more concerned with getting those 8's off the front than worrying about the rear bumper.

I'm guessing they have it looking very Paris-Dakar so those front tires don't collide with the fenders.

7" fronts and putting it in the weeds will drastically change the looks.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 08-05-2014 at 05:24 AM.

2 wErds... Hart Ski... Exactly Bob!

And what Frank said - 7's on the front and lower that bad boy. Put some bullet mirrors on it then just drive it for a while. Looks like a great project to have fun with. Maybe work on custom flared bumpers to match the fender flare for that early look. Of course, reinstall the original LP panel. Also, de-bling the wheels. Do all that and you'll have a great looking ride.

Keep us posted and let's see pics of the engine bay and interior.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Quote Originally Posted by t6dpilot View Post
    2 wErds... Hart Ski... Exactly Bob!

And what Frank said - 7's on the front and lower that bad boy. Put some bullet mirrors on it then just drive it for a while. Looks like a great project to have fun with. Maybe work on custom flared bumpers to match the fender flare for that early look. Of course, reinstall the original LP panel. Also, de-bling the wheels. Do all that and you'll have a great looking ride.

Keep us posted and let's see pics of the engine bay and interior.
    You hit the nail on the head my friend. I actually have all the parts ready to do exactly what you suggest.