Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it the color?

Is it the color?

Is it the color Sepia Brown? Is it overpriced at $80-$90K? Is everyone waiting for Monterrey? Market finally slowing?

Not sure what the issue is, but would appreciate any constructive comments on why I had some very strong initial interest in my 72 coupe (see For Sale section) and now crickets. Generally I have a very good finger on the market but to be honest I am kind of lost here; I have seen much lesser cars go for strong $70's and $80's or rust buckets going for $30's and $40's...all non S cars.

I did not purposefully restore this car to flip, but to actually enjoy, but I started 3 years ago when prices were reasonable. The car has absolutely everything done right, so not too much I can see that I missed. Lastly, I do not want to get into the price escalation debate, but I am one of the owners who has lost some interest due to the price increases and I actually do not feel okay driving this car like I intended....

Any help would be appreciated!
    Sam
    1971 S Targa - Gone
    1970 S Coupe Vintage Racer turned RGruppe - Gone
    1973 T Coupe - Gone
    1972 T Coupe - Gone
    1970 T Coupe - Gone
    1997 993 Coupe - Last of the air cooled

Link please?
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

1971 S Targa - Gone
    1970 S Coupe Vintage Racer turned RGruppe - Gone
    1973 T Coupe - Gone
    1972 T Coupe - Gone
    1970 T Coupe - Gone
    1997 993 Coupe - Last of the air cooled

Just my opinion, but I doubt it's the color. More likely the hot rod aspect doesn't appeal to the collector/speculator crowd, who are most interested in stock cars. The enthusiasts who your car appeals to are sitting on the sidelines now, as the cars have gotten so valuable that some folks are reluctant to buy and actually drive them. I'm an example - I'd love your car, but if I had it, I'd want to drive it like I currently drive my '84 3.2, commute a couple of times per week, year-round and sometimes in the rain. And I really don't see myself doing that on a six-figure car.

And yes, I saw in your ad that most of the stock parts are available and come with the car, but again, today's collectors/speculators don't want to have to do ANYTHING to the car - buy it, store it and later re-sell it. They don't want to have to touch it. Sad, but I believe it's true.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

It's a great looking car and I do believe if it were tangerine or gulf blue it would have sold by now. Sepia may not be for everyone but if you're patient you will find the right buyer. Good Luck.

Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Hopefully constructive thoughts - I think it's sort of between 2 stools in having some visual hot rod elements like 7" rears and trim deletes but does not have the hot rod heart - and lacks other hot rod visuals such as sport seats. The heart is what that 'Sport Purpose' is all about. I think that narrows the likely market for the car immediately. The colour is a bit love it or hate it but what 70's colours aren't?

At the end of the day, you have a very nice car displayed for sale for a bit over a week on a very narrow appeal forum - it's not like selling a Honda or Toyota. These things take time unless the car is so definitively special that it can't be resisted.

Good luck with a sale as it does look like a nice car.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Early S #2826

Garage:
    '73 E (2.7RS replica) - sold
    '94 968 Clubsport M030 - sold
    '67 250SE Cabriolet - sold
    '71 Skyline GT - sold
    '69 911S - sold
    '73 911T/RS

Personally I like your car, and it's a great color, but to quote Jim B., "brown is the new brown..." and there's no getting around the fact that some like it and some do not. So you're dealing with a smaller set of possible buyers compared to what you would probably experience if it were a more desirable color.... as Dave said. Give it time, and put your ad up in various places, like Pelican, Samba, Craigslist, Demmings, blah, blah, etc. Sometimes you can catch more fish with a wider net...

good luck with the sale
    Jordan
    rally-prepped '69 911T 3.0L
    S Registry #1933
    Vintage Parts & Restoration http://retro-sport.com

Please don't get me wrong. I friggin' love Sepia Brown!

Regards

Jim B
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by sam71TargaS View Post
    Is it the color Sepia Brown? Is it overpriced at $80-$90K? Is everyone waiting for Monterrey? Market finally slowing?

Sam
    Well I would personally prefer British Racing Green Probably get banned from the forum for that comment and please forgive my one stroke photoshop color change.

My best friend is in a similar situation with his 1965. Its as good as they come and he wants to sell it, but the question is when? He picked it up for psalm at the right time and could make a good profit. The problem is for the enthusiast is that once a car becomes valuable then it becomes less of an enjoyment to drive due to fear of injury let alone increased insurance costs. Obviously there are a lot of people on this forum with a vested interest that the prices will stay high but lets not forget what happens with real estate markets. Does anybody really believe that classic cars prices will go upward forever.

I've thought about picking up a 911 for many years but realize a) I should have bought much earlier b) Now is not the best time to buy. If I was only purchasing to buy/flip well then take your chances. Monterrey should be interesting.

BTW, I absolutely don't like that brown color. Never did back in the day.

Thick skin please...It looks to be a very beautiful car, but I think that the car was priced too high. It's a 72 T with nothing special going on. I understand the mods...I did the same with my SWB and I did it because it was what I wanted. I didn't take into account the value hit. I didn't care. Now prices have risen and it's a new ball game. I'm not sure why you're advertising it as a Pre-Monterey sale. What does that mean? Prices are higher after Monterey? Your ad asked for 105K. I would have toned down this type of rhetoric and priced the car at a more reasonable level to begin with. Then below the ad you state 90K and here you now state 80K to 90K. Of course if it gets cheap enough, it will sell Just trying to be constructive...
    Last edited by gsjohnson; 08-05-2014 at 05:27 PM.