Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 73 S - fuel evaporator hoses in engine bay - routing question please

73 S - fuel evaporator hoses in engine bay - routing question please

I would appreciate confirmation that the routing of the two large fuel evaporator hoses is correct per the attached photo. I am ready to install the firewall sound insulation pad, and before cutting a notch in it to accommodate these hoses and allow the pad to seat properly in the channel where the hoses come through, just want to be sure. They seem to be in the only logical location to enter the engine bay and align where they will be connected to. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think they actually enter to the left of the shock mount, there is supposed to be a large foam pad between the crossmember and the firewall that would be in the way as you now have them positioned.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed - thank you for the prompt reply. The opening in the channel to the left of the shock mount is not wide enough for these hoses to slip through...unless perhaps if I really compressed them almost flat and that does not seem to make sense. I do have a 'notch' in the foam pad in that location, but again, that opening in the channel is very narrow unlike where I have them currently routed where they easily slip through. My thought was to make a notch in that (current) location to allow the foam pad to slip into the channel. Your thoughts again please

member #1515
    I agree with Ed, mine come in to the left corner. The foam pad Ed mentions is another foam block, not the sound pad.
    I have VPC a/c and the hose going to the receiver drier goes out that general area too.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I thought they were more to the left than you show, but if it gets that tight left of the shock mount then you're right, they wouldn't compress the hoses to get them thru. It just always seemed to me that they were very close to the shock mount, maybe get them as close as you can without pinching them. This is one of those silly details that you look at a hundred times yet not REALLY see it. I don't think though that the foam pad was notched, just shoved up around the hoses, think of an assembly line,,,is it logical that they would spend the time notching ,,,,or just shove it in there?? Okay, I was curious enough to go out and look at my 71, they are LEFT of the shock mount. I'll look at my U.S. 72 tomorrow, my Euro one is here but it doesn't count as they DIDN'T have the vent system.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I thought they were more to the left than you show, but if it gets that tight left of the shock mount then you're right, they wouldn't compress the hoses to get them thru. It just always seemed to me that they were very close to the shock mount, maybe get them as close as you can without pinching them. This is one of those silly details that you look at a hundred times yet not REALLY see it. I don't think though that the foam pad was notched, just shoved up around the hoses, think of an assembly line,,,is it logical that they would spend the time notching ,,,,or just shove it in there?? Okay, I was curious enough to go out and look at my 71, they are LEFT of the shock mount. I'll look at my U.S. 72 tomorrow, my Euro one is here but it doesn't count as they DIDN'T have the vent system.
    Ed and RS TARGA - thank you again. I looked again at opening LEFT on the shock mount, and seriously, the gap there is very slight. I could get ONE hose through, but it ends up being squeezed in half...can't imagine getting the second hose through at all. Also, if I understand where these two hoses will be connected - one at the middle of the backside of the air cleaner and the other at the middle of the engine shroud), having the two hoses enter the engine bay somewhat in the middle as my photos shows seems to make more sense rather than having them enter to the left only to then come back to the middle?? Hope this makes sense, and sorry to pester everyone with such details. Do either of you suppose it is possible that when assembled at the factory, the gap to the left of my mount was just made too tight??

Fuel vapor lines - still struggling....

I have taken several additional photographs after talking with Ed Mayo this afternoon and he is also going to post photos of what he seeing on a 72 that he is currently working on. The opening channel between the two shock mounts is right about 17mm wide - just enough for the two fuel vapor lines to pass through as I showed in my earlier photo, but apparently not the correct/original location. Other photos show the apparent correct location where the hoses are to run - just left of the left rear shock mount - but that tapered opening is small, and only 12 mm wide at its largest point requiring the fuel vapor hoses (and the second hose in particular) to compress rather significantly. I've also attached a photo of the original fuel vapor hoses and one can see rather significant abrasion in exactly where they would have been pushed/squeezed through originally. I am anxious to see Ed's photos, as he describes significantly wider channels...enough for a 2X4 - both the one that runs between the shocks and the ones between the shock mounts and the inner fender. What I have seems so far to be very, very, different. We also discussed the possibility of my openings being restricted by some residual hardened foam that was apparently placed in these two outer openings...no such luck...everything I am dealing with is sheetmetal as confirmed by previous media blasting and a thorough inspection just now with a small pick-up magnet.

Okay,,,,don't understand this one! I have checked three cars, my 71, my 72, and have photos taken today of a customer 72 that is going back together. All of them route the hoses to the left of the shock tower, I even stuck a 2 X 4 in the opening to illustrate the amount of room. If there was a cross member difference 72 to 73 I'm not aware of it. Clearly Steve has less room left of the shock tower.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Steve, looking at that photo again, I trust the bottom of the shock is not attached!
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

perhaps an early shunt has tweaked the unibody - what is the vin ?
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser