Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did Porsche add seat tilting lever to backrest?

When did Porsche add seat tilting lever to backrest?

Is there a definitive answer to this?

Peter Morgan in "Collectors Originality Guide - Porsche 911" says from 1969 - see photo.

Can anyone tell me if this is accurate please as I want to get a set of 'correct' original Comfort seats for my 70S (built late 69).

ThanksAttachment 301186Attachment 301186
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think these are the earlier seats but not sure when Porsche stopped using them and started using those shown in Morgan's book.

I would not take anything that guy says as gospel! 69 and 70 cars had the release mechanism button in the side of the hinge, NOT AT THE TOP.

See the photo below

L to R

69/70, early 71, late 71, 72 and 73. (I used a 72 hinge just because I didn't want to spend the time to find a chrome 71 hinge) the trigger is the same for all of them.

Regards

Jim
    PS: The seats in the other picture are correct 69/70 seats.

Thanks Jim.
    1. Does that mean I can get any seat 69-73 and convert to the 69/70 as necessary by obtaining the correct hinges and fitting them ie the 69/70 hinge will fit straight on to a 71-73 seat?
    2. If so in your experience will I be able to obtain the correct hinges - eg do you (or others) have 2 x 69/70 hinges as per picture that you would sell?

Greatly appreciate your assistance.

Putting together a set of 69/70 seats should not be much of a problem. I, along with many others, have the correct hinges and they could even be added be added to your existing seats to make a correct set of seats. There are structural and visual differences with 72/73 seats that would make them a poor choice if you are interested in a correct set of seats.

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim.
    On that basis would it be your opinion that these seats would be suitable donors to create 'correct' seats with addition of appropriate hinges and recovering in 'correct' leatherette with (for my car) basket weave inlay?

Thanks again.

They would be fine

# 2991
    For picture reference, I beleive this is the correct seat or you, it was from a '70 and the seat belt is dated late '69.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  98.1 KB

Thanks everyone. For reference be good to see the top of the chrome hing showing release slide.

Thanks again.

My examination of the spring boxes and seat back frames of all the early cars is hat they are the same. The hinge attachment points are the same. They only vary in type of hinge, single or double locker, seat cover material and the presence or absence of headrests. The 356 seats are fundamentally the same as well.

So you can start with a good set of cores and create what is correct for your year. Aase and many others sell the right hinges.

Here's my example. http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ation-question. At the end of that thread are a set of reference seats for a 70T.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK