Thread: RHD dash

RHD dash

I am looking at converting my LHD 72 911T to a RHD drive car. If anyone has parts that will assist it would be appreciated.

Hi Ian

Please allow us to counsel you against it! What is the background/reason/location that makes you want to do this?

Once upon a time conversions happened regularly (certainly here in Australia), but these days you're likely to greatly devalue the car... That's even if you can find the correct (NLA) parts to do the job.

Cheers
    John
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Hi John

Thanks for your message. Its fair to say that your comments are consistent with almost all Porsche aficionados. However, finding a RHD sunroof coupe is not that easy, partiuculary in the nice rust free condtion my car is in. I am not really that keen on the whole LHD thing. I know theconverision devalues the car, but I love these cars so much that I dont really care. I just want the maximum enjoyment out of this baby and hopefully when I am done with it one of my kids will take it. Make sense?

Thaks for your feedback.

Cheers

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Fishcop View Post
    Hi Ian

Please allow us to counsel you against it! What is the background/reason/location that makes you want to do this?

Once upon a time conversions happened regularly (certainly here in Australia), but these days you're likely to greatly devalue the car... That's even if you can find the correct (NLA) parts to do the job.

Cheers
    John

Ian

Where do you live?
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

New Zealand Clyde.

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S View Post
    Ian

Where do you live?

You can buy the aftermarket dash pad in RHD but be prepared to be reemed close to or over $3000NZ dollars

They are very good not as good as factory of course but factory not available so there is no other option.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

It's not just the dash pad...

RHD Steel under-dash area
    RHD floor sheet metal
    RHD tunnel sheet metal
    RHD Pedal box conversion

Ian, I totally respect your preference for the RHD format in the Antipoeds. Setting aside the arguments for not converting a car. Pretty much nothing is available new, so you need a donor car to do it right. The G series cars have subtly different sheet metal that to my eye at least stands out like dog's balls. However it can be used. But as we are all working out in the RHD world - not too many people are parting RHD cars out any more as their general desirability in their respective markets means there is more value in "restoring" cars that were once parts candidates or even basket-cases.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

Thanks John

Im a newbie to this forum but the IP from the combined wealth of knowledge is nothing short of awesome. Whoever started this site should be patting themselves on the back as the bringing together of like minded people (none of who I know) is a great achievement.

Not sure where I am go got go with my car. I guess I should put it on the market and find myself a RHD car.....

It's not just the dash pad...

RHD Steel under-dash area
    RHD floor sheet metal
    RHD tunnel sheet metal
    RHD Pedal box conversion

Ian, I totally respect your preference for the RHD format in the Antipoeds. Setting aside the arguments for not converting a car. Pretty much nothing is available new, so you need a donor car to do it right. The G series cars have subtly different sheet metal that to my eye at least stands out like dog's balls. However it can be used. But as we are all working out in the RHD world - not too many people are parting RHD cars out any more as their general desirability in their respective markets means there is more value in "restoring" cars that were once parts candidates or even basket-cases.

The nice thing about these forums and our cars is that they are quite "global" now. It is a world-wide market, so if you have a nice LHD 72 - the market is pretty big when you include the US and Europe all driving on the right and all chasing nice early cars

Are you sure you can't learn to love LHD?

There is definitely a premium to pay for RHD cars in RHD markets, I'm sure NZ is no exception. But it's swings and roundabouts - you'll certainly get your money back!

There are Aussie and NZ sub-forums on EarlyS, a poke and a prod there might find you a solution
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

The nice thing about these forums and our cars is that they are quite "global" now. It is a world-wide market, so if you have a nice LHD 72 - the market is pretty big when you include the US and Europe all driving on the right and all chasing nice early cars

Are you sure you can't learn to love LHD?

There is definitely a premium to pay for RHD cars in RHD markets, I'm sure NZ is no exception. But it's swings and roundabouts - you'll certainly get your money back!

There are Aussie and NZ sub-forums on EarlyS, a poke and a prod there might find you a solution
    no issue with LHD for me down under , but different folks different strokes ...
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"